Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  

what to do?
switch with ford ranger engine
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
keep current engine till it blows
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
hold off untill engine blows, then find a six cyl
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

joyrider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: new engine Reply with quote

hi everyone.

i need some thoughts. My 97 se is getting up there in miles (135,000). I'm thinking i'm gonna need a new engine soon. I have a 4 cyl now, and i was hoping to get a six if i do upgrade. I also wanna get like 36 or 38" tires. (i have 31's on there now). I was told that a four-cyl would have a problem powering bigger tires.?
My bf may be able to get me the engine out of a ford ranger pick up truck. it is also a four but i think it has alot more horsepower. it would prob. be free, but i'd have to leave my current engine in it's place. should i risk it? he's a parts manager for ford and his dad's a great mechanic, so installation and all that wouldn't be too much of a problem.
what's everyone think.

selling my jeep is not really something i'm willing to do. It's my baby & my project.

(gonna leave this on JF too.)

thanks.
-kyla
scootr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former owner of a Ranger w/4 cyl...don't do it! They're even more gutless than the 4 banger in the TJ's
mission

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you get a good ole inline 6? They are more reliable than man's best friend and i hear their pretty cheap...? Mine's got 110,000 and still going strong. Leaks oil, but what jeep doesnt leak something?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats what i figured.

thanks guys.
MonkeyBiz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to run bigger tires, you are probley goiging to want bigger stronger axels, which you can put diffrent gears in. This guy is running 40" MT/Rs and he is only a 2.5 4 banger.. Wanna say geared like 5:86, dana 60 front, and 70 rear Very Happy

Last edited by MonkeyBiz on Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can definatley run those tires with a 4 banger...it's all in how you gear it. If you do have to replace the engine, I would go with the 4.0 I6, that thing is a rock if you maintain it. Be ready for a headache though...I think you'll have to swap in the ECM for the I6 as well....it's not an impossible job, but it is a lot of work...

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you'll need to swap computers, tranny, t-case input, etc. The I-6 would be an easier swap but if you're going to the trouble and looking at tires that large, you might also consider a V8.
edit: with that size tire, you'll also need to swap axles.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Code3TJ, if your willing to do a motor swap...why not do it and do it BIG! I know that the bottom dollar is always in question and the I6 will probably be the least expensive, but I put it to you like this, imagine how easily a 350 (LT1 perhaps) would turn those big meats Smile

At any rate, drive it til it blows, keep saving for the swap and see where your at when it happens.

Just my .02

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the work requried to swap an I6 4.0 for the 2.5 4-cyl, you really would be much better off going to an 8cyl. All that work (another tranny and t-case, unless you want to swap inputs) and you've now got a TJ X package...that you probably could have bought from the lot, sold your Jeep, and paid a whole lot less for than what's required to swap to the 4.0.

If you want BIG tires, you're going to be upgrading axles anyway. Might as well make them bulletproof for the 8cyl.
joyrider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone

good suggestions. I do want a killer jeep, but I have to keep in mind that this is also my daily driver. There are no legal places to offroad where I live, so even if/when I do go up to paragon, and whatnot I would have to drive pretty far (on Highways) to get there.

My bf & his dad, have been doing most of the work on my jeep so far. I just bring it down to their work, and they help me out.
I can get the parts discounted, and the labor cheap.

thanks
-kyla
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but if it's a daily driver and weekend warrior, why go with 36~38" tires? Most trails at PAP can be navigated rather handidly by a well equipped TJ on 33's. 4cyl or 6cyl as long as it's geared properly. Sticking with a 33 or 35" tire will keep the need for all sorts of exteme building up to a minimum and keep the vehicle as tolerable as possible for a daily driver. I can run most of the trails I want on 33's, but opted for the extra clearance of the 35's because I'd like to do it with less drama and try and keep breakage to a minimum. There's also been more of a trend towards minimization going on. Trying to keep lift heights as low as possible and keeping the COG low. I'm able to run my 35's with a 4+1" lift setup (coils are listed as 4", but really yield about 5" of lift) whereas I see folks running the same tire size as me but have 2" spacers on top of the coil and another 1" of body. That just seems way excessive to me and I get tippy enough on the trail that I really don't want any more lift than I absolutely need to do what I need. It's one thing to build a competition rated rig and another to build a dependable and tolerable double duty rig. Just some food for thought as you plan your buildup, not trying to discourage ya Smile .
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Joyrider, did what did you decide to do with the engine?

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
joyrider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
So Joyrider, did what did you decide to do with the engine?

well...i'm gonna just keeping driving it the way it is untill it dosn't work anymore. It sounds like four cyls can last a fairly long time. If/when it does go I'll replace it w/ a 6cyl 4.0. my bf priced them for me and brand new their still reasonably priced. ($1,500)

thanks all for your help.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally Ive always been a big fan of old CJ's running V8's.

So Im living in this imaginary world where I keep telling myself if my 00 TJ goes Im droping in a Chevy 350 with all the bells. After running into a YJ on thursday he was telling me he wished he had never pulled his 4.0 out.

Wastes to much gas and the I-6 did everything his 350 can do with out the noise and gas milage.

I'd drive it until it dies. Drop in another perferably with an I-6 if you can. Its a good little motor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: