Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howling Noise in Rear End (Video of Problem)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
compugeek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Howling Noise in Rear End (Video of Problem) Reply with quote

I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) with a Dana c35 (rear) and Dana 30 (front) differential. I have been trying to diagnose a problem and need all the help and suggestions I can get. I have been hearing somewhat of a whining/Growling noise from my rear end ever since I recieved the jeep from my brother. My brother said the noise started around the time when he hit a curb while it was slick out in the winter. I have jacked up the rear end of the vehicle but have not taken the differential cover off and don't want to until I have the parts I need for the thing I need to replace. I have spun the axle with the tires on and also tried it while the vehicle was on and in drive. I get the noise in both situations when the tire is rotating fast enough.

I have gotten underneath and listened for the sound. I found it to be the most audible from the outside towards the right side of the rear end when the wheel is spinning. Inside the vehicle it seems to echo everywhere in the rear but seems to be located above the differential to the right (passenger) side. Here are my conclusions so far:

1.) It is not a gear because the sounds rythme is constant and the pitch changes in all vehicle states (acceleration , coasting, floating) and gears seems to be audible only inbetween certain speed ranges.

Here is the video of my problem:

http://home.everestkc.net/compugeek/JeepProblem.wmv

Any help would be appreciated!
compugeek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just was reading around the forums and found that if the limited slip (trac lock) is not working (worn out) only one wheel while spin while in drive. I jacked up my vehicle and tested it in drive and only the rear right one is working. Does that mean my limited slip is gone, and if so, what types of noises would it produce?
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO BRUTHA!! That sounds like a bad diff to me!! If it's not, it's could be one of the worst warped brake rotors EVER. It also could be a bent driveshaft, or REALLY bad u-joints That's gotta be vibrating the s**t outta your truck! Good Luck man. If that were me, I'd take the entire rear end apart before I ever drove it again. Don't drive real fast like that! We worry about people out here, man. I don't want to see you get hurt because your wheel fell of at 65mph. Serious.javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Sad
coconutwil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Howling Reply with quote

Could be you got a howler monkey in the rear drive case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: