Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Emergency Brake Out of Commission!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YJgurl182

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Help! Emergency Brake Out of Commission! Reply with quote

So. My problem is that my emergency brake has gone completely dead. Even though I am currently going to mechanic school, this is something we haven't gone over yet. Can someone give me just a quick run down on what "breaks" on e-brakes? I understand that they are purely mechanical, but haven't had a chance to pop the back wheels off and have a look.

The pedal basically started having less and less resistance until it finally seemed to "pop" and now has zero resistance at all.

I decided I needed to fix it when my boyfriend felt the need to park it in neutral (don't ask me why, it's something I never do) yesterday-- lo and behold it rolled down the driveway and halfway down the street with me running behind it before I caught up to it. Good thing I grabbed the keys from him, as I had to start it up to get it to stop! That was enough motivation to fix it, right there.

Anyway, anyone out there who has had this problem? I would appreciate ANY info, Google isn't helping too much...Thanks! Wink

P.S. It's a '95 YJ, I4, stock (gonna lift it as soon as I have the $!!)
93YJFalcon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look under the driver's side of your Jeep and you will see that right before the rear wheels the e-brake line goes from one line to two at an adjustable little splitter thing-a-ma-jig. If it popped this splitter might have broken. If not then you can adjust some of the tension here to tighten up the brakes, but first I would try to tighten them up by removing the oblong rubber plug on the lower inside of each rear brake drum and stiching a flat screwdriver in there and spinning the little adjuster cog to tighten up the brakes. You can also loosen the brakes this way, which might be necessary in order to get the drum off if you need to change the brake shoes. Some times the shoes are pressed too tightly against the inside of the drums to easily allow the drums to be removed. Definately get a Haynes manual from Autozone or Napa, etc. It will explane this better and have pics to boot. Good luck! Working on rum brakes SUCKS!!!

EDIT: wow my typing sucks!!!
an=a
stiching=sticking
rum brakes=drum brakes

Last edited by 93YJFalcon on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, it sounds like your cable or something else between the pedal and the brakes might have broken. Check the splitter as mentioned in the post above.

I don't think your problem lies with the brakes themselves. On your YJ, the parking brake is the same as the drum brakes in the back. If you haven't covered them in school yet, get yourself a manual as was mentioned and get to work. Like I said though, I doubt it's the brakes themselves and is something between the pedal and the brakes.
YJgurl182

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, guys...I'm gonna get to work checking all that out today. I'll let ya know!
whynddancer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happened to my jeeper, only it actually hit the chicken house down the hill from the driveway on the property... a year later i get a thing in the mail from chrysler saying the e brakes were recalled due to failure rofl .
mattj

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you never had it replaced by the recall, that would be the cheapest way to fix it. Make Daimler Chrysler pay for it. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: