Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool, not cold A/C air

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Cool, not cold A/C air Reply with quote

2003 Grand Cherokee. A/C varies from cold (48-50 degree air at vents) to 65-70 degree air. With 100 degree outside air and controls on cold and max recirculate. Dealer has evacuated the A/C twice in the past 2 weeks and refilled. Added leak detector. So far, nothing. I'm thinking it may be one of the vacuum heater-A/C doors not working or opening up. Once the vent temperature goes up, it seldom drops back down regardless of front panel settings.

Any suggestions?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it blowing out of the dash vents??

If so .. Are you loosing any freon???

If you are not loosing freon and it is blowing thru the dash vents. then your leak is probobly in the evaporator core. Its very common and its a pain in the ass to change.. Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealer says there aren't any leaks, it's not losing freon. I noticed last night (85 degrees outside) it ran for about 30 minutes just fine, then the vent temperature started rising to 65 again. Wondering if the evaporator coil could be freezing? Gauge on the suction side read 41 but the air was still just cool.
Brad S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having the same problem. Gauge says that pressure is full. Still just blows cool air, not cold.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different dealer said he's had several GCs come in with a similar problem and it's always been the air controls or damper doors. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Will keep you informed.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a fix - it finally failed as I was in the neighborhood of a Jeep dealer, left the engine and A/C running and they found the temperature controler and damper motor were both at fault (or at least they replaced both). Said the controller would allow the damper to move around, opening it up so the heater core was exposed to the vent, warming up the air. Works nice so far. $250 plus labor, but worth it for a cool car in 100+ temperatures.
PistolPete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have the same issue with my 95 GC Laredo. Do you know the part # s? I would like to do this myself to save some bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: