Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy security problem?.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: New guy security problem?. Reply with quote

Greetings,
Another new guy here. Like every other new guy I have gotten myself into a predicament. I bought a 93 GC at an auction last week. Lots of miles, but seems to run well. I found this forum and started absorbing all the information I could. Uh oh, where is this VIC that is supposed to be above the ashtray?. I know it is there but it doesn't light up. Whoa, this thing has a security system, cool. I also notice there isn't any chime or seatbelt light. So I grab my fuse puller thinking I can solve the problems with a fast fuse check. Nope. Every fuse in the fuse panel checks out okay. The guy before me hot wired a JVC cd/radio which is a problem in itself cause I can't figure out how to turn it off. Also he hot wired a remote starter switch that seems to work fine. So I got the bright idea of checking fuses under the hood. I pulled and replaced one of the yellow small fuses when the lights start flashing and the security light starts flashing on the dash. Hadn't seen that light before. Problem is now the car won't start, lights flash, wife and daughter are looking at me shaking their heads and the neighbors are starting to show up with worthless suggestions. I ran into the house saying "I have to go to the bathroom" and joined this forum where I am at this moment. Question 1: How do I shut off this security so that I can start the car. Question 2: How do I get the VIC (I think that is what you call it) to lightup. Question 3: Does anyone know how to turn of a JVC 200. Thank you in advance, Another NewGuy
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: New guy security problem?. Reply with quote

Usually if you press the button on the keyless entry fob the security system will shut off. However, if you don't have the factory fob due to a remote starter or aftermarket alarm being installed you do have a problem. I've found that if the security system is going off, if you insert your key into the passenger side door lock and turn it, the alarm will stop going off. This is the only way I've found to turn off the alarm if you don't have the key fob or the batteries in the key fob are dead. I don't know if you are really saying that the actual alarm is going off (horn honking, headlights flashing, etc..) or if the security system just won't let you start the vehicle. Maybe you need a new dash instument or gauge cluster. I hope that this helps you remedy your situation.
-nixt

Here are my previous posts on the topic:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6456&highlight=

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8604&highlight=
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
NewGuy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the security shut off. The former owner had hot wired a radio and remote starter and I think this was part of the problem. There was a third wire that I am not sure as to it's function. Also fixed the JVC radio turn off problem since whatever I did, the radio won't function now. My 15 year old daughter is starting to give me grief over that so I guess I'll be in there some more. At least I can drive it now. Thanks "nixt" for your help.
NewGuy
jeepjeepjeep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: furture reference Reply with quote

if you need help with radio, security, or other things in the 93 i can help you i have dealt with just about anything that model/year can throw at ya
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: