Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'97 TJ Transfer case / Axle Identification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomm00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: '97 TJ Transfer case / Axle Identification Reply with quote

Hey All - I just picked up a used '97 TJ Wrangler Sport and I am trying to figure out what I have.

How can I tell which transfer case I have - NP231 and NP241?
How can I tell which Axles I have -
Front - Dana 30?
Rear Rear Axles - Dana 35 / Dana 44 ?
Open Diff. / Ltd Slip Diff ?

HELP !!!
Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tag on the back face of the t-case that will tell you it's a 231.
D30 front and most likely a D35 rear. There were not many D44s from the factory in 1997. Again, most likely it is open front and back. Check the tags of the diffs for a ratio if they haven't been removed. Otherwise, pull one of the diff covers and count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion. Divide ring gear teeth by pinion teeth.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id almost bet if you laid on your back looking at your Transfercase you would see this.

If so its a NP 231. NP stands for New Process. See the round tag on the left? Thats the dead give away because it will say NP231 on it.

Thats a shot of my XJ, but my TJ looks a bit more level, but Im sure you get the point.

Oh here we go. I have a shot of the TJ. Look close on the tag and you can see 231.

Heres a shot of a Dana35. If you look really close on the left side. The two Bolts on the axle tube flaw in the black paint. Thats actually a tag that identifies your gear ratio and rear end. The front will have the same tag. Normally on the left side facing it. 307 is 3.07 and 373 is well 3.73. So forth and so on.

The best way to find out anything about your Jeep is to copy down your VIN and call Jeep. Any dealer and ask for service. Now while you have them on the phone tell them you would like them to look up your VIN and answer a few questions. Ask them. They will normally hook you up unless they are in a bad mood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: