Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas Mileage for a 1995+ Jeep YJ.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjacky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Gas Mileage for a 1995+ Jeep YJ. Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking to buy an older Jeep YJ. A 1995'ish, maybe even up to a 1997 TJ, a 4 litre and 5 speed. I'm just wondering how these are on gas? Are they gas guzzlers?

Thanks a lot
spankerbob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: fuel economy Reply with quote

I have the 4.0l six and it gets around 15mpg average, just after a tune up and lots of freeway driving I get about 18. MY friend had a four banger that got over twenty, but the tires were stock and he drove mostly freeway.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my stock XJ 4.0L, 4x4 gets about 20-23mpg hwy depending on how heavy I am on the pedal
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyman3875 wrote:
my stock XJ 4.0L, 4x4 gets about 20-23mpg hwy depending on how heavy I am on the pedal

You can't compare the mileage an XJ or ZJ pulls versus what a YJ or TJ pulls. The vehicles are different weights and have dramatically different aerodynamics. You state you get 20-23mpg...Wranglers aren't even rated for that when brand new. I pull 10-16 on mine. It was 12-16 before the bigger tires were installed.

So yes...they are gas guzzlers. They could be worse though. Those V10 Superduty pickups really bring the suck. This is the reason I bought a motorcycle.
Lowrider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a 1400-mile trip, all on 2-lane highways, and averaged 21 mpg with my totally stock 2006 Unlimited automatic. Steady interstate freeway driving will get me 23 mpg so long as I stay under 70 mph.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
Clifford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YJ is a '92 model 4-cyl/5-speed combo bone stock except for slightly larger tires. I can put my Jeep on a flatbed trailer and pull it with my full-size V8 powered pickup truck and get the same mileage as if I drove the Jeep. That ought to tell you something. Rolling Eyes
workforbiscuits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 93 4 banger w/ 33's and I probably average about 10 mpg. Maybe because I never see 5th gear and do about 2800 RPM's on highway just to try to maintain 65 mph.
Ballman95YJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Gas mil. Reply with quote

Hey guys. Yeah actually I have a 4 banger myself. I have a 1995 YJ. I have a 2.5 inch shackle lift on 31 mud terr. Tires. I still get around 20 -22 city and yes I actually get around 30 hwy. All you have to do is put a KNN short or full ram intake and flowmasters. I love the gas milage. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: