Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 2.5 auto Wrangler - power improvements?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanfam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: 99 2.5 auto Wrangler - power improvements? Reply with quote

My daughter does a lot of offroading, has 31 BFG Mud Terrains on it, but says she has no power. Any suggestions on how to get more power from the engine? If not, what is involved if we wanted to swap in a 4.0 engine in? Costs, issues? Thanks....
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the answer you want to hear, but it's easier and cheaper in the long run to sell that Jeep and buy one with a 6 cyl.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a 4cyl and everyday I hate it more and more. But I have to many memories in my piece of crap to part ways with it. Eventually I'll swap engines, hopefully to a v-8, but there is not much that you can do to get more out of it.

Good luck on it and keep us posted as to what you decide to do.

My Morning Jacket
mikasdad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

The engine swap would not be too bad. You can get a good used 4.0 for 800 or so, and from experience, it is worth it. There is a world of difference between the engines. Although, depending on the condition of the 4banger you could sell it and buy a 6cyl jeep for not much more.
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since it has the 4-banger under the hood, then it comes stock with 4.10 gears. And since you've put 31's on it, this didn't help. Putting the 4.0 in it wouldn't be that difficult, however, you need to remember all the electrical stuff that comes with it. There was a difference in the pre 99 and 2000 to current 4.0's. In 2000, they got rid of the distributor and put in a plug rail. There is 1 coil for every 2 plugs. The computer got more involved when jeep did this. If you do go with a 4.0, I would suggest 99 and older. If you decide to keep the 4-banger, I would suggest either changing the gears or putting the smaller tires back on it. If you decided to go with gears, I would suggest 4.27's. I think 4.56's would be a little too much for a daily driver on 31's. Jeep put the 4.10's in there to try and compusate for the 4-banger. I'm running 4.56's and 35's on my daily driver, but I also have the 4.0. Keep in mind, this is all just my opinion.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mygreenjeep wrote:
Well, since it has the 4-banger under the hood, then it comes stock with 4.10 gears. {snip} I would suggest either changing the gears or putting the smaller tires back on it. If you decided to go with gears, I would suggest 4.27's. I think 4.56's would be a little too much for a daily driver on 31's. Jeep put the 4.10's in there to try and compusate for the 4-banger. I'm running 4.56's and 35's on my daily driver, but I also have the 4.0. Keep in mind, this is all just my opinion.

Not with the auto. The 4-cyl autos have 3.73s. It may be 3.07s if I'm mistaken. Point is they don't have 4.10s. The 4-cyl 5-speeds have 4.10s.

As far as 4.27s...I don't believe those are available for both the TJ D30 and D35. You're stuck with 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88. 4.56 would probably be nice with the 4-banger and the auto, however, RPMs will be high on the highway. It's a problem with a 3-speed auto that lacks an overdrive.
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 3.73's with the auto. Most of the 4 cyl that I've dealt with had the 5 speed. And yet again another brain fart on my part about the 4.27's for the D30 and D35. I was only saying 4.27 to keep the RPM's down on the highway. I was running 4.56's on 33's and the RPM's were a little higher than I wanted on the highway. Moved to 35's and it fixed it. Thanks for keeping me in check.
never lost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is a super charger for the 2.5l
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: