Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 GRAND CHEROKEE Fender Flares=Bigger rims

View previous topic :: View next topic  
98Spyderman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: 97 GRAND CHEROKEE Fender Flares=Bigger rims Reply with quote

I am looking for a set of extreme fender flares for my ZJ.I hope not to sicken any of you because i would like them for another purpose from what you would normally use them for,off road.I currently have 23" rims installed on it and am in the process of selling them to get 26" rims for it.I have already had to trim the front bumper and inner fender well for turning purposes,nothing was done to the rear and the suspension remains stock.The overall height of these 23's are 31" tall and the height of the 26's is a shade over 33"(the tire would be a 305/30/26).I realize that an extensive amount of cutting will be involved for installing the 26's,and i do not want to lift it any to make them fit.I could not find a realitively wide flare for it like rusty's off road flares of bushwacker cut out flares.My question is can i make XJ flares work on mine?I really dont see why not sine they are essentially the same truck.I was reading about Rusty's flares for an XJ and the look better than the bushwacker and from what i read i can trim up to 4" out of the fender/quarter.If they end up working and i have enough clearance,i may end up airbagging it or just lowering it.Im not into gaude and am not looking for a gaudy look,i just wanna be different and the 23's are not cutting it anymore.Either way i am going to do this and any help is appreciated in my quest to set apart my GC.This is my first post on this site,and i hope you guys can help me out a little Wink
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to any reputable custom car shop and have them make you a set of flares. Even if you don't want a lift, your next step would be getting some budget spacers-- Or get a long arm kit and 6 inches of lift and you should be able to fit 33's. This will cost a lot but if you sell your 23" wheels you should have enough left over to get some 15" or 16" steel wheels and some mud terrains. They will make your jeep stand out nicely. Your jeep will also handle and perform better on and off road since the lack of all of that extra rolling mass will improve braking, acceleration, and the added sidewall depth will give you a vastly improved ride.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though you say you don't want to lift it any, you might want to at least get some coil spring spacers. A little 2 in lift will cost you about 100 bucks and would at least cut down on a lot of the trimming you would have to do. Rusty's buldged fenders look pretty cool and would really set your jeep apart. I have heard that the XJ bushwacker fenders won't fit but I have seen a pic of a jeep that looks like they have them.
http://photos.allegro.pl/photos/oryginal/11/1138/113840/11384038/113840387_7

If you are going to try the bushwackers I think you are just going to have to bite the bullet, get them, and if they don't fit send them back. Sucks but thats the only real advice I can give you.

Also, post a pic of your jeep or a link to a pic. I want to see what a jeep on 23in rims look like. bling
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: 97 GRAND CHEROKEE Fender Flares=Bigger rims Reply with quote

Here's another thought for you- If you don't want spacers or if you don't want to get a "lift" kit, get a suspension kit instead. You could get an OME kit which isn't referred to by the company as a lift kit even though it can raise your suspension from 1.25-2.5 inches as well as improve the ride quality. This is vital in your situation because with large (20+) wheels and very little tire sidewall, your ride quality is going to be like a stink nugget because it is going straight in the crapper. I don't know if anyone else has raised the idea of trying to get the Up Country coil springs from your local dealership. They were an option on some models and raise your vehicle about an inch. Any of these ideas would be easier on you and your wallet than a lift because you don't have to worry about the little hassles of going with a full kit (example: swaybar, longer shocks, longer brake lines, driveshaft troubles, etc..).
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
98Spyderman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

98Spyderman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There she is guys,i really like them flares on the one you had the pic of,thats wat im looking for.So you think rusty's flares will work for me?Plus with rusty's i can trim up to 4" out of the fender/quarter,and i read reviews on both and bushwacker has a lip on the underside that would need to be trimmed and rusty's does not have that lip.Thanks for thae help so far guys...keep it coming Very Happy
98Spyderman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen this sight with these flares?seem really nice,fit and finish is awsome and it looks i can cut out more than enough metal from the install guide on the site!http://www.icelandoffroad.com/fender.htm
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen 'em but they look nice. Since you won't have too much rubber sticking out under your fenders that may be the way to go. It would be silly to have a large fender just hanging out in mid air covering nothing.

By the way have you considered the fact that you might have to get new differential gears and stronger brakes? Just curious.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
98Spyderman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking everywhere for a big brake kit that does not cost $3k+ and i have had no luck so for the time being i was gonna use drilled/slotted rotors with a good set of pads.As far a new gears,never thought of that,why would i change them??thanks again
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the larger tire size your engine will be running in a higher rpm band. You could get away without them but it would cost you acceleration and your engine would be a gass guzzler because you could be running such high rpms to keep the tires rolling.

It would look awesome if you did find a big caliper and get it powdercoated white or something. I think that would be pretty sick. I'm glad wouldn't be the one that would have to keep it clean though.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: