Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

power windows are acting weird

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecologito

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: power windows are acting weird Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 and my power windows are haunted Razz

I can only roll them down or up from the driver's control, if the window is going down using the driver's control and you push the button from the door where the window is rolling it stops... that tells me that everything is working but there must be something shorted somewhere... any guess where to start looking?

Thanks a lot.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: windows Reply with quote

Sounds to me like all is working fine but you have the child lockout button on or broken. It is right above the other buttons. The reason it stops when a button in the rear is touched is because the circuit is not complete with both buttons pressed.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
ecologito

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: windows Reply with quote

JeepinNH wrote:
Sounds to me like all is working fine but you have the child lockout button on or broken. It is right above the other buttons. The reason it stops when a button in the rear is touched is because the circuit is not complete with both buttons pressed.

Thanks, the child button is OFF but there it could be broken I guess I need to take the door apart and figure it out.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: windows Reply with quote

You may also want to check the wires that run to the door. My neices 94 Grand had intermittent windows. I could grab the wires and make them work or not work. There was a broken wire under the boot. The drivers door is the location you want to look for the issue.

ecologito

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, I looked under the driver's door panel, I unpluged the power window and locks harness and the other windows didn't work either, so I am guessing is not the window lock.

Is there any other way to troubleshoot this or my widnows are haunted Twisted Evil

I have the Haynes Repair Manual and the power window's electric diagram shows that lockout swtich, I thought by unplugging the harness, if the switch is bad the windows would work...

Any other ideas or there is something I am doing wrong?
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: windows Reply with quote

The other windows get power from the drivers door controls. If you unplug the harness then none will work. You need to focus on the drivers door. That is where your issue most likely is. Like I said, 1 broken wire near the hinge on the driver's door is all it took to stop all the windows from working on a Jeep I recently repaired. A voltmeter is your best friend on an issue like this. You should check for proper voltage going in and out of the child lock switch. One of the outputs goes to the other door switches. I would bet that the other door switches are not receiving voltage. My book lists it as yellow but I'm not sure how accurate it is. If all looks good then maybe the wire is broken between the child lock and the other door switches. Good luck.

ecologito

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: windows Reply with quote

JeepinNH wrote:
The other windows get power from the drivers door controls. If you unplug the harness then none will work. You need to focus on the drivers door. That is where your issue most likely is. Like I said, 1 broken wire near the hinge on the driver's door is all it took to stop all the windows from working on a Jeep I recently repaired. A voltmeter is your best friend on an issue like this. You should check for proper voltage going in and out of the child lock switch. One of the outputs goes to the other door switches. I would bet that the other door switches are not receiving voltage. My book lists it as yellow but I'm not sure how accurate it is. If all looks good then maybe the wire is broken between the child lock and the other door switches. Good luck.

Thanks a lot, I will check with the voltmeter and let you know my findings
ecologito

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my haynes guide, removed the door panel and found out that none of the wire color codes match the guide, since I am not an electric expert I am guessing I will have to go somewhere to get it checked.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sorta have the same problem. I can roll all up and down from the drivers side, but every once in a while the other windows can be controlled locally. I'm guess its my window lock button.

At least the drivers works. =)
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kizer wrote:
I sorta have the same problem. I can roll all up and down from the drivers side, but every once in a while the other windows can be controlled locally. I'm guess its my window lock button.

At least the drivers works. =)

my '87 had similar issues....the passenger window would sporadically work....and always from the drivers side controller. it finally wouldn't work from anywhere. turns out a combination of one switch being bad and another one being partially disconnected from the connector. it only took $10 for a complete switch panel at the yard and a phillips screwdriver to figure it out. funny thing is that when you look closely at the factory switches (from mine and the donor yard vehicle as well) they clearly had the ford emblem, oval and all, on the bottom of them. again, this was on an '87...so take it for what its worth.
chris
Jeep9717

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar problems with my windows. The driver can control all the windows, but the others only work when they want to. I have talked to a couple people about this and they said that newer model cherokees, 97 and up, are notorious for door electrical problems.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the switch panels. It's just a matter of which one. The first time it happened to mine, I replaced the pass side switch panel and that fixed the problem. Then after a couple of years, it happened again. That time it was the drivers side panel.

quandna has the right fix...go to a boneyard and pick up some replacements. Then go by process of elimination.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ecologito

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed that the lights on the mirror buttons go on and off... I tapped the panel until they came on, after that I pushed the window lockdown button and now all the windows work again Smile

I guess is the driver's panel that is going bad... Thanks a lot for all your help.

Next thing to get fixed.. A/C
Gryphon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running into some problems with my 98 2 door XJ. The speakers in the doors only work sometimes. A few days ago, the auto lock on the drivers side stopped working when the door was open. Now the power windows have quit working all together. It sounds like there are broken wires in the driver's door. I'll look into it tonight.
Gryphon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two broken wires in the bundle in the door hinge area. I soldered the wires back together and everything works again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: