Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stupid jeep

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: stupid jeep Reply with quote

Well, looks like my jeep will be out of commission for the rest of the year if not permanently. Steve has replaced all the body mounts, motor mount and tranny mount and the jeep is still having issues. Actually they are worse now.

Steve is starting to think the frame is bent the way part of the oil pan skid (front part bars) and behaving (I’ll let him explain) so we are going to look into that and see. I may be having to looking into get another jeep.

Anyone know where I can get a TJ for cheep?

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whhhhaaattt ??? Please do explain!!! I hate to see a good Jeep down!
-ConcernedCoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, that sucks, I hope it's not as bad as you guys fear. Sad
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this started on the way back from Paragon in April. The first symptoms were when I would break, the jeep had a little shimmy / the back end was stepping out. So the breaks were done and it seemed ok for a while.

Then Steve put in my rear locker and then I drove it the jeep developed an odd little wobble. Not when I hit the break. It only happens either as I am accelerating and shift up, the back end will step out. (Like the jeep is doing a little shimmy) Also if I’m going a constant speed say in 4th or 5th and take my foot off the gas the back end will step out. Also if I down shift the back end will step out. Steve drove it with the mirror focused on the rear tires and you would see the body move around on the tires.

So far Steve has looked under it and the track bar was broken (because of whatever is wrong with it) so that has been replaced along with all the rear bushing for the control arms. (was test driven after this was done and there were still issues, but not as bad)

So, Steve put a body lift, motor mount and tranny lift/mount (?) in to replace all those mounts incase it was something wrong with one of those. The only odd thing Steve saw was one of the body mounts was slightly twisted. Not so much he couldn't get the new mount in, but it is real tight. Now according to Steve the jeep drives worse will all the new rubber.

So umm ya I think that is everything.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
Nessie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Stupid Jeep Reply with quote

I am Sad Iknow that's a pain and makes you Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Here's hoping you'll be back trailing soon. In your own Jeep
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Jen, I hope you guys get the heep fixed. It sucks when they are out of commision

My Morning Jacket
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be pointed out that I'm not 100% sure the frame is bent....more like 90% sure. There are 3 things that are leading me to that conclusion:

First, it has all new suspension bushings in the rear, new body mounts and new motor/tranny mounts. The old ones had some wear, but had a lot of miles left in them. So nothing there that would cause the problems it's having.

The second is that one of the frame brackets for a body mount on the passenger side is bent a little. Not so much that I couldn't get isolator out (or get the new one in)...but you can clearly see that it's bent.

The third is when I dropped the oil pan skid. The skid mounts to the crossmember/skid plate and on two brackets that attach to the LCA bolts. When I dropped the skid, the bolts holding the skid to those brackets were giving me a hard time. Once the last one came out and the skid was down, I saw why. It's tough to describe and I didn't take any pics...the bracket that comes from the driver side LCA is not lined up with the bracket that comes from the pass side LCA. They lined up perfectly when it was installed. Like I said, it's tough to describe. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Anyway, it's still flareless but since it's running again, I pulled it out of the garage and pulled the XJ in. I know what's wrong with it (wheel bearings, ball joints, trackbar), so I'm gonna fix that. Afterwards, I'll pull the frame specs out of the TJ FSM and do some measuring to see if my theory is right. I'm also thinking of putting the 32's back on to see if it's something weird with the new rims/tires (doubtfull). While I'm at that, I'm also gonna take a look at the play in the axle shafts....maybe something weird is going on with lateral play or with a bearing or something. At this point, I'm grasping at straws. Confused

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think a bent axle tube would cause that rear end step out like she described?? Good call on getting out the frame measurements. I am curious to know if maybe the frame has a slight tweak to one side causing the start/stop momentum to want to favor one side of the frame.

-CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoreyXJ wrote:
Do you think a bent axle tube would cause that rear end step out like she described?? Good call on getting out the frame measurements. I am curious to know if maybe the frame has a slight tweak to one side causing the start/stop momentum to want to favor one side of the frame.

-CoreyXJ

If a rear axle tube was bent, it might do the same thing, but it would depend on what direction it's bent (up/down vs. front/rear)...plus that wouldn't explain the bent body mount or why the oil skid plate brackets don't line up anymore.

The other thing I'm gonna try is measuing the frame both sitting on the suspension as well as with jack stands under the frame itself and see if there's any differences/variances between those measurements vs. what the FSM says.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever figure out what happened?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, went to Bristol this weekend so didn't work on the Jeeps at all. Next weekend, I'll be getting the XJ fixed and then the following weekend we'll be at RIR. So the earliest I'll be able to look at the TJ again is the weekend of the 16th.

Quote:
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME = crybaby

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: