Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tera-Flex Long Arm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthechad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Tera-Flex Long Arm Reply with quote

ok, so i have seen a 4 inch teraflex long arm kit for about $600, this seems cheap which is what i like, but has anyone had any experience with teraflex lifts?
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the TeraFlex short arm 3.5" with RS9000 shocks and LOVED IT!!!! It flexed like crazy and rode really nice on the road and the trail. I've since moved up the Rubicon Express Long Arm and it's even better. It sucked at first cause I used the Rubicon shocks, but when I went the the ProComp MX6's, that fixed the ride. I don't know much about the TeraFlex long arm, but they're a pretty good company who makes pretty good stuff.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap.

You did not see a complete long arm lift for $600.
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap.

You did not see a complete long arm lift for $600.

X2
iamthechad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the lift
http://www.jeepmasters.com/TeraFlexCXJ4inLongArmSusp.htm

and here is a link for the kit, for all you naysaysers, i wouldn't say i saw a kit for 600 without actually seeing i am not an idiot

http://store.mepco4x4.biz/te4losusy.html

so does anyone have any real knowledge of this lift??
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamthechad wrote:
here is the lift
http://www.jeepmasters.com/TeraFlexCXJ4inLongArmSusp.htm

and here is a link for the kit, for all you naysaysers, i wouldn't say i saw a kit for 600 without actually seeing i am not an idiot

http://store.mepco4x4.biz/te4losusy.html

so does anyone have any real knowledge of this lift??

Since you didn't specify what vehicle you have, I'll admit I assumed it was a Wrangler since that's what I'm used to working with. However, we all know what happens when one assumes and the saying has become reality.

So...that lift. First, it does not have long upper arms. If you run long lowers, you should have long uppers also to maintain proper suspension geometry and movement of the axle.

The arms themselves suck. They have poly bushings that wear quickly, requiring frequent replacement. In addition, their design is a bit flawed. These arms provide flex by spinning of swivelling at the threaded rod where they adjust. Good idea at first...but unfortunately your suspension doesn't move in those perfect arcs like a swivel arm would allow. You will get suspension bind. This does speed up bushing wear. This has been know to rip control arms brackets off your axle.

They also cut some other corners by using add-a-leaves and longer shackles.

While the mythical $600 long arm kit is clearly not a myth...the other part of my first post is true. Good don't come cheap and cheap don't come good.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was the TJ kit too, that's why I didn't chime in earlier. XJ long arms systems are right up my alley. Wink

I started researching XJ Long Arm kits in mid 2005. Teraflex's solution was ruled out after the first week or so. First of all, it should be pointed out that at 4", long arms are not necessary on XJ's. Short arms will do just fine at that height...but let's forget about that for a minute.

Let's forget about the 4" AAL in the rear for a minute too...Rolling Eyes

Adding to what ehirner said, that kit not only doesn't have long upper arms...but it doesn't even come with aftermarket short arms. Instead, it uses the stock ones, which will contribute to bad caster angles, improper suspension geometry and cause lots of bind. The kit also doesn't include an adjustable trackbar, which will be needed at 4" to re-center the front axle. Instead it has you drill a new hole, in a clearly weaker part of the axle side bracket, for the stock trackbar. Yea, it'll work, but it's not going to be nearly as strong...shaky at best. You also have to hack up your crossmember to get their LA brackets in...not necesarily a bad thing, but it is more work and it rules out the possibilty of using any type of aftermarket crossmember later.

You'll also need longer brake lines in the front and rear...the stock ones will be too short. The kit has you install a new bracket, which relocates the existing lines...but the hard lines can only move so much.

It comes with a t-case drop, but the instruction sheet that comes with the kit says on the first page in big bold letters "A slip yoke eliminator may be necessary'.

So, while it may be a $600 Long Arm kit, it's not even close to being a complete Long Arm kit. You get what you pay for. By the time you finish buying long upper control arms, brackets for the upper arms (that will work with the Teraflex LCA brackets), an adjustable trackbar, extended brakelines, full leaf packs, boomerang shackles and rear bumpstop plates, you could have had a 6" Full Traction system, which includes everything but SYE and shocks...plus it gives you 2 more inches of lift. Hell, the Full Traction kit even comes with a drop pitman arm.

After 6 months of researching XJ long arm systems, that's the way I went.

My $0.02.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: