Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Auto Door Lock Annoyance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoparKev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Newbie Auto Door Lock Annoyance Reply with quote

Hello Chaps, From Merry Olde Englande! I'm getting annoyed with having to "unlock" the back doors and tailgate on my '98 Orvis Grand Cherokee evertime I've been over 20mph! How do I de-select/disable this function. The Manual sez the local Chrysler dealer will do it, but I'd rather do it meself. TIA! (PS. Sorry if this is an FAQ. Couldn't find anything on the Forum using search)
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... Mine never did that... Must be a new option..

I dont have a clue how to get rid of it..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your Jeep a "ZG" euro spec Jeep made in Austria (or Germany- I don't recall which)? I thought that when I was programming the seat and mirror memory functions into my '98 ZJ that it mentions the ability to program the door lock functions as well. I do recall that it says that the keyless entry fobs are numbered 1 or 2 on the back and that they can be individually programmed to automatically set the locks, seat, and mirrors to the 1 or 2 setting without having to even press the button on the driver's door. I'd have to look in my manual to be sure though... I'll check if I remember the next time I drive somewhere. Even at that, it may be different from the North American versus the Euro spec Jeeps. Things just haven't been the same since they let the Axis get ahold of the company- But I guess that it's good that at least Land Rover was liberated by Ford and is now back in Allied hands.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.

Last edited by nixt on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoparKev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes, thanks for the swift replies. A buddy of mine over here sez it requires a "DB"? computer to log in and change these setttings. His mate has one and also is a local NOS supplier. I need a new fill for my other Mopar so I'll get it sorted when I see him. Thanks anyways! Cool
MoparKev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what I need? And can I get a workshop manual on CD-Rom?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELM322-OBD2-EOBD-Scantool-Interface-Code-Reader-elm-322_W0QQitemZ320018223519QQihZ011QQcategoryZ30921QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
MoparKev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking Jeep... Hope you get it figured out..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but I believe that the device in the auction is just the code reader that tells you the trouble codes and the computer settings. You may want to ask the seller if you can actually change the values in your vehicle's computer system- the device I've seen them use at the dealership is an actual computer terminal. If it does allow you to change the computer data, then be careful, I've screwed up a lot of electronic equipment trying to get to the optimal custom settings. In my other post I was talking about the owner's manual not the service manual. But I checked my owners manual and it says you are supposed to go to the dealer to have those things reset. That said, that doesn't seem like alot of money for a code reader, if you make sure you get the right one.
That is a nice Jeep, is it diesel or the V-8 Petrol? By the way, I didn't think that you could have bull bars or brush guards on vehicles anymore due to the danger to pedestrians. Good luck getting it sorted.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
MoparKev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, mate. I'll go to me mate who's got the set up for changing the parameters. It's a 4.0l petrol. The bullbar has been taken off as the only off-roading my Jeep is likely to see is bumping up the odd kerb (pavement?). Bullbars are still very popular over here in the UK. And I see Summit still does a huge range. Are they illegal over there? Thanks for the kind comments on me Orvis! I like it a lot and me Missus loves the high driving position. (We traded up from a BMW520)
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerb? You mean curb. The reason I asked about the engine is because the roof rack, hood vents, and wheels on your Jeep were only available in the NA edition in 1998 as the 5.9 Limited V-8. Bullbars aren't illegal over here- the reason I asked is because I recall reading about hyper-environmental groups in Europe being angry about the increase in SUV purchases. In an attempt to make it alittle harsher to own one, they tried to claim that bull bars, brush guards, and the higher hood lines on SUV's were dangerous and deadly to pedestrian traffic. I mean what the hell!?!?! The next thing you know, they'll be trying to make you pay a fee or issue you a ticket if you drive your vehicle into metropolitan areas at certain hours of the day! They will probably try to enforce this by reading your license plate by video camera and you'll receive a citation in the mail (post) a week later!
If you do go kerbing, be careful since you don't have larger off road tyres. They just banned parking on the curb here in Athens this fall to try to prevent excessive drinking before Saturday college football games. Where is the sense in that?
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
MoparKev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The next thing you know, they'll be trying to make you pay a fee or issue you a ticket if you drive your vehicle into metropolitan areas at certain hours of the day! They will probably try to enforce this by reading your license plate by video camera and you'll receive a citation in the mail (post) a week later

Aha! You know about our congestion charge in Olde London! It's 8 ($12) a day to drive in inner London, but the Mayor is planning on charging "Chelsea Tractors" (4x4s and SUVs) about 20 ($35) a day to drive in inner London. Apparantly 60% of new SUV/4x4 UK sales are in London and you can even buy spray on mud for your Urban 4x4! Shocked
Quote:
They just banned parking on the curb here in Athens this fall to try to prevent excessive drinking before Saturday college football games.

Is that just the Soccer Mums? Wink
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about the spray-on mud in my subscription to Land Rover World before I let my subscription expire- wouldn't it be alot cheaper just to get some real mud and rub it all over your vehicle? I know the article said that the authorities were worried that people would try to obscure their license plate with the fake mud.
I don't really know how changing the parking strategy will stop people from drinking- maybe it is so that the inebriated will walk on the sidewalk instead of in the street? But if you have to ride a bus to the game instead of driving I guess you'll carry alot less beer. Of course driving a Jeep, truck, or SUV is the best way to have a "tailgate" party. You can carry more stuff, more people, and parking is alot easier.
The drinking thing is for everybody not just for the soccer mums- but there are plenty of those that get loaded before the game as well. The problem that someone runs into is that alcohol sales have been banned at college football games on campus. The only real games that you can buy alcohol at are the bowl games but those are generally held at professional sports arenas that already have the beer distribution machines and beer adverts all around the stadiums. If you don't sneak in some hard liquor in a baggie (that you hide in your crotch so that they won't find it if you get searched on the way in), you have to drink enough before the game so that you have a buzz that lasts until the fourth quarter. The big deal about excessive drinking may be because the population in Athens more than doubles on game days and they don't want the 90,000 people that come to town to overwhelm the local police and infrastructure. They are even trying to get people to stop calling the Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party". That game is at a professional stadium but they still won't sell alcohol- but there still are plenty of drunk people at that game. More than once, I've seen an alumni that has passed out in the bathroom while they were taking a dump.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: