Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springs and shocks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Springs and shocks Reply with quote

After reading a bunch of posts in various threads, I think it's about time for me to ask...

With 108k miles on my XJ the front looks fine, the rear is sagging, and I think my shocks are shot (harsh ride, no dampening). I got the jeep at an auction and don't know the previous owner but as far as I know, it's all original equipment (looks to be anyway).

In the long run, the XJ will be my trail rig, but for the next few years it will still need be a daily driver. I've looked at HD leafs on quadratech (and possibly front springs) and was wondering about shocks.

I don't want to lift just yet (still collecting the dough if anyone wants to donate...), but I would like to know, should I replace the springs and shocks now, or should I wait until I do decide to lift. I can always ebay used stuff when I lift but I'd still be out some money.

Shocks: If the shocks are bad (how do I check) what should I replace them with? Preferably stock height.

Springs: Should I worry about the springs (front an/or rear) or again, wait until I lift. I do some towing and the HD leafs would be benefficial but I'm torn between doing it now, and waiting. I saw in one post that Phantum was selling his HD leafs with 3" shackels. Is that a viable option for lifting, or is it better to get new leaf packs with lift built in? If so, I'm thinking about getting the HD's now and re-using them with the lift.

Also, when looking into replacing stock equipment, I've heard people mention tires (which I already know I need), struts (not sure what they are), and bearings (where to find on car, and how to check).

I can do most, if not all, of the work myself, and my brother-in-law (4.5" RE lift on his XJ) can help me with the rest, so if I need to do some replacing, links to write-ups would help.

Sorry about all the questions but I need all the facts before I put more money into the jeep.

Seriously, any input will help me make the right call. Thanks. If you don't want to type forever on a post, email me at johnpmanor@hotmail.com

And, links to previous threads would help as well, I've seen a lot, but I've missed some too.

Thanks again, you guys have the most knowledge of any site I've been on,

John Manor

P.S. I can post pics (or email pics if need be) of the suspension but I need to know how. I'll be checking this thread very often and will be posting updates/edits as the need arises so please help if you can. Thanks.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start with shocks. 108K is a lot of miles on the stock shocks. Since you are staying at stock height for the time being, replace them. Go to an auto parts store and get Monroes, Gabriels, whatever. They'll be fairly inexpensive and will be better than what you've got now.

As for the rear springs, how sagged are they? If they are flat or, even worse, inverted I would replace them. Here's the catch, it's not as noticable, but the front springs are prolly sagged too. So if you replace the rears, you'll most likely end up with a "stink bug"...a.k.a. ass end up way higher than the front end. So here's the way I see it, if you are planning on lifting soon...wait. But it sounds like you are at least 2 years out from lifting. So I would put new rear springs under it and trim out the front with 3/4" spacers (if necessary)...especially since you are towing. The last thing you want is to have a spring failure when it's under a load. As a short term solution, go with the standard packs over the HD's since they should be a little cheaper (BTW, what I had done was added 2 leafs from stock packs to each new HD spring. With the 1.75" shackles, I got 3"+ out of them).

Now, XJ's don't have struts so you don't need to worry about that.

As for the front wheel bearings, they are easy to check. Jack up the front end, grab the tire and try to wiggle it from side to side. There should be no play. If there is, replace the hub bearings. Be sure they are bad, they ain't cheap. Here's an article on how to do it.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/2001/02_feb/bearing/

I think I covered everything... Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: spring prices Reply with quote

I priced both standard and HD, seems the HD are cheaper at least on the web. Maybe because the HD are in less demand.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses (and the correction Phantum), I think you're right, I'm about 2 years from lifting so i'll go ahead with the HD leafs and new shocks.

Would you recommend new front springs, or just the spacer?
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend new front springs to match the rears...but it's your wallet. Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can get leafs from quadratec, and I can get shocks from the local guys, but what about front springs? All the one's I can find are for lifted vehicles.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if quadratec doesn't sell stock front springs. Local auto parts stores should be able to get them as well.

Quote:
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking with my brother-in-law, I think lifting now might be a good option. For the amount I would spend to replace the leafs, coils and shocks, I could go for a 3.5" lift and still not half to worry about re-gearing, slip yolk, or a new driveshaft, long-arm kit, etc.

I've been looking at lift kits and I like the RE 6030 kit, the rusty's 300SP, and the skyjacker JC301KS-SVX, and JC301KS kits. I was wondering pro's and cons of each (which is more complete), as well as the varying prices that I've been getting from each, wether it's because of who's selling it or because the kits vary that much. I've heard great things both about RE and skyjacker. I don't know much about Rusty's or any other lift companies. And, whichever kit you (responder) recommends, what else would I need to buy to complete the kit?

Also, what's the best place to go to order, or does it depend on what I'm getting? (I also don't wanna match the kit in price for shipping)

I need a kit that will last a good 3 or 4 years under moderate wheeling and daily driving, but I don't want to break the bank. Around $600-800 is max I can spend (though it seems like that's max for those anyway).
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything specific about those kits...but I'd take an RE kit over Rusty's or Skyjacker any day.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OME, but its going to cost you.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty's has had lots of problems in the past with their kits. They supposedly fixed those, but I still wouldn't trust their stuff. As for Skyjacker, Ive never been a big fan of their lift kits.

In the lift range you're talking, OME is cream of the crop. An RE 3.5" would be a good second choice. The RE kit will cost a little less than OME and comes with LCA's and extended brake lines, but it won't have shocks.

The best prices I've seen for OME are at DPG Offroad. A 3" kit with OME shocks, OME coils, OME leaf springs, and a set of JKS disconnects for $780. Get some new u-bolts and (maybe) a trackbar bracket and you're set. You can always add control arms later and you shouldn't need the extended brakelines. If they are too short, you can always relocate the existing bracket to get a little more reach.

Either way, you won't go wrong going OME or RE.

Quote:
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Thanks.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

After talking with the guy from DPG he quoted me the following prices (listed below). Also, he warned that with the OME kit (which I'll more than likely get) you don't get a slip-yolk (that I didn't think I needed), or t-case drop (which I probably should get right?). Also, he recommended both LCAs and an adjustable track bar (and quoted me prices for both). I need your opinions on the pricing, as well as what equipment I need vs. what equipment I should get (not needed but may/will help). OR, what could I get in lieu of parts (track bar bracket) and still have a functioning ride? And, when I do the lift, what hardware (bolts, nuts, etc.) do I keep, and what hardware should I trash and replace. BTW I think he said both the track bar and LCAs were from JKS.

Kit and parts:
OME 3" lift kit $779
Adjustable track bar $204 (or $190 with lift kit)
LCA (pair) $289 (or $255 with kit)
T-case drop kit $27 + $10 shipping

Prices with shipping:
OME lift kit only $779 + $125 shipping(Shipping costs from KA to NC)
Everything (-drop kit) $1224 + $145 shipping
-OME kit
-track bar
-LCA (pair)

Does this sound about right to everyone. Also, will I have driveline vibe without putting in a slip-yolk or t-case drop?
Thanks for any responses, I'm trying to get all the facts before I drop some serious moola on the lift and find out I need something else in the middle of the build.

John
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk isn't steering you wrong. Can you get away without LCA's and an adj trackbar? Yes. But both would be recommended. A track bar bracket will work...i.e. - it will get it close, but it will not allow you to truly center the axle as an adjustable bar would.

As for vibes, every XJ reacts differently. Some will be fine, but others won't. An SYE would be the ideal (and more expensive solution) but a tcase drop will do the job at 3".

As for the misc. stuff (and assuming you are gettting the full kit):
    The trackbar will give you new hardware for the frame side mount. It either gives you new hardware for the axle mount or you reuse the existing hardware...(I forget which with the JKS bar)

The LCA's & leaf springs will reuse the existing hardware.

The t-case drop will give you new hardware (longer bolts).

The front shocks will give you the hardware for the upper mount, but you'll reuse the bolts for the lowers (probably wouldn't hurt to use new bolts there)

The rear shocks will use the existing hardware on both the upper and lower mounts.

A note on the rear shocks. You will most likely break some upper bolts. There's a couple of ways to fix this. The most common one is to drill them out and tap new threads. Here's a writeup: http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjshock.html

Oh...use antiseize compound (most auto parts stores have it) on every bolt you put a wrench to. It will make it much easier to get it apart in the future.

Quote:
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the 2-inch OME kit from DPG. I didn't buy the front trackbar at first, but I called him back and ordered it. I have the Teraflex adjustable on my TJ and I must admit the JKS for my XJ makes my TJ "Teralfex" look pathetic.

I called/emailed 5 vendors. Nice sized ones too and nobody could beat DPG's prices as well the free JKS discos where and are awesome. I picked my parts up at ARB here in WA so no shipping.

I hope to install it all this weekend, but so far my leaf spring bushings are not here. So maybe I'll tackle the front and loosen whatever bolts I can in the rear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: