Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lower Rear Shock Mount Position

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Lower Rear Shock Mount Position Reply with quote

Since I will be welding TJ brackets onto my new rear end for my jeep, this thought came up. On my D35c, I can easily see that I beat the tar out of my lower shock mounts and shocks (the round eye on the bottom). An extension wouldn't put the mount nor the bottom of the shocks out of harms way of those darn pesky rocks.

Thru my searches here and on the internet, I didn't come up with any conclusive information on the cons and necessary changes (like new shocks) when moving the lower shock mounts upwards closer to parallel to the axle tubes. Something like two or three inches. There was one thread here but it didn't have any real useful information to make a decision on.

So, I was wondering before I have all the brackets welded on, what kind of cons or issues may arise from doing this? Is there a good reason I shouldn't do this? I won't be doing something like this.

Thanks for any help.

-Trevor.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to consider is keeping the shocks at or very close to a 90 degree angle with the LCA's at ride height.

If you use brackets that are higher to give more clearance, not only does the angle of the shock to the LCA increase, but the shock will probably hit the spring perch when the axle droops. So they also need to be extended away from the axle (towards the rear), not only to clear the spring perch, but also to retain the proper angle to the LCA. Pushing the lower shock mount up and back will probably interfere with the exhaust (easy fix there) and might (key word might) cause interference issues with the gas tank...especially under articulation.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I am saying that if you try to fab it up, it's gonna take some trial and error to get it right. You could also look at the Nth Degree Shock Shifters. It relocates the lower mounts with weld on brackets and relocates the uppers with bolt ons. Plus it moves the shocks away from the gas tank and exhaust, so you don't have any clearance issues. Not bad for $100. Wink

My $0.02

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow, I've overlooked that in all my searching. I saw many weld-on shock mounts but not this one. Reading the installation instructions, this may be a good option for me. The shock bracket isn't raised up but it looks to be closer to the wheels so that should help alot. But darn it, I have to drill more holes into my jeep. Mr. Green

Going this way, I will have a set of lower shock mounts that I won't be needing. I wonder who'll be needing a new set to weld on. Shocked

-Trevor.

p.s. Does this qualify for the "While I'm in there?" question?
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a se of the NthDegree weld on shock relocators. So far I really enjoy the ride. The lower weld on section is beefy. I mean thick and built hunks of metal.

My only concern is it appears my shock mounts are lower than stock, but a lot closer to the the wheel. Any closer and it would be inside of my rim, which honestly I wouldn't complain, but the upper pivot point wouldn't like it becasue it will bind if you pull it any farther.

I'm hitting the trails next Thursday, Friday so if anybody is wondering how they handle ask me then. Wink

As for ride confort I really enjoy them. The wide stance makes the shocks work in my opinion more effective than the original placement. Our axles do not travel straight up ad down perfectly across the axis of the axle unless of course your going over speed bumps.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the Nth Degree Shock Shifters off road?

-Trevor
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im hitting the trail this Friday/Saturday. Mr. Green
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a shot of the NthDegree Shock relocators. Personally they performed awesome on the trail.

Yes I still have my stock shock mounts installed. I wanted to see how they did on the trail for the first time before I took a plasma cutter and removed them.

Needless to say the stock mounts are history. Mr. Green

The axle moves up and down from side to side. It felt very natural going over obsticles.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it may be worth it for me to buy them. I just need to know who wants the M.O.R.E. Ford 8.8 Lower Shock mounts. Mr. Green

Flex looks nice.

-Trevor
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the NthDegree Stinger/Slider under there as well, which removes my upper control arms. Im noticing that my shocks might need to be a little longer in front, but other than that Im pretty happy with what I have.

Im not building a flex monster, but Im trying to build a capable trail rig that doubles as a Daily Driver. I do have a Volkswagon I could drive, but hey lets face it whats cooler? Mr. Green

So far in my opinion they are a good buy and I could/would recommend them. You can see in my picture from my last post how far they move the shock in compaired to my factory shock mount location. Of course ask me in 6months just incase I dont rip them off on a rock. rofl
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kizer wrote:
Of course ask me in 6months just incase I dont rip them off on a rock. rofl

By then, I hope to have my Jeep back on the road. I miss driving it. All I've been driving is my Toyota Matrix. And I know it's been too long when I'm imagining horrible ways to total the poor thing. But it runs well and makes excellent gas mileage.

I may have to look into the Stinger and Slider.

-Trevor
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the slider and stinger are out of the question for me. I'll be installing a Ford 8.8 and they don't seem to have any made for that axle. Crying or Very sad

I guess I'll just have to stick with upper control arms.

-Trevor
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure they will make one someday. They just released the 60 and I know the 8.8 was on their list of possibilties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: