Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi lift jack for lifted jeep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
langston

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: hi lift jack for lifted jeep Reply with quote

i need to find a jack big enough to raise my jeep so i can change tires. jc whitney has a 48"H Jack with 4.5" to 37.24" Lift Range. do you think that would work on a tj with 6" of lift and 35" tires?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock bottle jack is just big enough to change a 35" tire.

You don't really want to use a hi-lift jack to change a tire. The jack itself is fairly unstable when you lift loads like this. In addition, unless you tie off the axle to the frame, you have to lift to vehicle higher as the axle drops away from the chassis when you lift the body.

If the stock bottle jack just isn't tall enough for you, get a commercially available bottle jack from the auto parts store that has a taller lifting height. It is a safer way to lift your vehicle.
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry the 48" Hi-Lift on my Jeep, but I rarely use it. I am running 6.5 total lift and 35's. If you are disconnected, the highlift won't really do you any good when changing the tire. I actually use a 6 ton bottle jack from harbor freight to change my tires on the trail. It's easier/safer to use the bottle jack than have to reconnect and then use the hi-lift. Hi-Lift's can be very dangerous if not used right. I've used mine for just about everything except changing tires.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous posters. The Hi-Lift has it's purposes...changing the tire probably wouldn't be one of them for me. I keep the stock bottle jack and a 6 ton bottle jack in the rig with me when wheelin'. I also have the Hi-Lift, but it's there more for back up to bad spots that I can't winch, or winch failure, or...etc. Oh, and I too am running 35's.

Wink
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about carrying a 2x6 block or 2 for under the stock jack to give that little bit extra height. also gives the jack more stability in mud and sand plus the added inch and a half height. they would also come in handy for firewood if your stuck and you can carve toothpics or write notes, the list is endless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: