Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very odd electrical symptoms???

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Very odd electrical symptoms??? Reply with quote

Hi All,

First of all, I have an '84 CJ7 with an I6 258. It's pretty much stock with no modifications.

My problems is this: There are times that I could be on the interstate, or regular country roads, and the engine will start to hesitate. The hesitation is the kind that makes you think the fuel guage is wrong and you're running out, or the ignition is going bad! This happened one day right after I filled up and was headed home, I was merging on to the highway, and it started to happen!! I let off the gas and stayed in the slow lane, the hesitation went away. After a few miles, I began to speed up, switched over to the hammer lane(fast lane) and then....clunk, clunk, clunk...the hesitation reared it's ugly head again. After a couple weeks of this I started driving my truck and I left the Jeep parked. Man!!! that was killing me. Anyway...when I do drive the Jeep, I notice that when ever I used my turn signals, or blow my horn at my friend on the way to work, that's when the hesitation acts up! I think at night time when the headlights are on, the motor doesn't run that smooth either, but that may be power of suggestion. Has anyone ever experienced this or know where to begin troubleshooting the odd problem? It's pretty much just the horn, and turn switch that makes this problem. Thank you for your insight...

Tobacco Road, NC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! that is a weird one. I think I would start by hooking up a voltmeter to the ignition module power wire flip on the turn signals, honk the horn and see what effect the turn signals or horn have on the ignition module voltage. Also double check the module ground resistance. I'll be interested to see what you find on this one. Good luck....Geeper P.S. if you need wiring info let me know I'll be glad to look it up for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: