Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling to start + Leaking diesel!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mallan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Struggling to start + Leaking diesel! Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and still getting to grips with navigation. I have done some searching on this but come up with nothing relevant.

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Turbo Diesel. It has 93,000 miles on the clock.

The problem I have is it randomly struggles to start. The "glow plugs" (Freeze plugs in USA?) were changed in September so don't think it's this. Also, there is no pattern to the problem it can be warm or cold weather, been sat for two days or only turned off 15 minutes ago. It starts eventually but I need to hold the key for up to 10 seconds a few times.

Second problem is a leak which looks very minor but leaves quite a puddle on the driveway. It looks to be coming from #1 injector (Closest to the front of the car). Can't see if it's pipework or a seal, is this common? Would be handy to get a manual for it, all my other cars I've had a Haynes manual but can't find one for this car!

Any suggestions or pointers would be great. I love to get my hands dirty and do the work myself but this is the first 4x4 i've owned and the first diesel so it's quite a learning experience!

Thanks, Mark.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess on the issue with starting is it struggles to achieve sufficient compression. Check your head gasket, and make sure all of the glow plugs are torqued to spec. My dad had the same problem with his truck and it turned out to be that one of the spark plugs was loose and was costing that cylinder compression.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if you're injector is leaking, it might not be getting enough fuel to fire initially. Not sure, but I suspect the injector has an O ring. Think it might be bad?
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that almost sounds like a problem that I'm having. At each start up (after 15 min. when warm) my XJ sputters for a little while (like it's not firing on one cylindar). I'll give it some gas say about 2k RPM for 2-4 sec and the problem's gone. I was thinking at first a leak between the rail and the fuel line (where you need the special disconnect tool to remove it) because the hose attached to the metal fitting has some play in it, that is, it moves back and forth when pulled (not hard). My second thought was an leaky injector.

I'm not sure which it is because the longer the car sits, the longer it takes for the fuel line to recharge and for the car to run right again. I'm leaning toward the hose at the special fitting because it would make sense for the gas to drain downstream enough to give a little problem only at startup. After reving the engine, the engine runs fine until I kill the car again. Also, I'm not having any visable leaks from the system so whatever the problem I believe it to be air entering the system as opposed to fluid leaving it.

Any help? A while ago my engine massively overheated. Could I have screwed up one of my injectors (or something else)? (it's not the head because I had it reworked 2 weeks ago)
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Mallan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chickened out and booked it into a garage!

Shame on me, I know Embarassed

I will let you all know the outcome. Thanks for all your input.

Mark.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M NOT GIVING UP.....

Seriously, any help would be great.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyman3875 wrote:
Any help? A while ago my engine massively overheated. Could I have screwed up one of my injectors (or something else)? (it's not the head because I had it reworked 2 weeks ago)

Did everything get reconnected when they had the head off? No codes ? CPS goofed up?
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they messed anything up, I know these guys, they know what they're doing. Also, I checked the entire fuel delivery system and couldn't see anything noticable (apart from the somewhat loose hose). The injectors wiggle a little side to side, but they all did that so I didn't worry about it. Plus, no one should have touched the injectors because you remove the whole manifold at once. all you do is disconnect the fuel line
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Wont Start leaking diesel Reply with quote

Mallan wrote:
I chickened out and booked it into a garage!

Shame on me, I know Embarassed

I will let you all know the outcome. Thanks for all your input.

Mark.

Most of us in the USA have the 4.0 litre gas motors sorry we couldnt
help any more than we did. Europe only has the diesel. Hey is it still
the Renault 3 cyl. I was going to say on the hard start it might be glow plugs??
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Hard Starting Reply with quote

monkeyman3875 wrote:
I'M NOT GIVING UP.....

Seriously, any help would be great.

Not knowing your mileage on the 1997 but what about fuel delivery.
Fuel filter? Fuel pump? It sounds that your fuel pump is bleeding off while sitting. Does the pump sound louder than in the past? The pump also has a fuel screen which can get clogged. See if you can have someone check the fuel pump pressure at the rail. Seeing you are in NC we GA boys get bad fuel with are high heat and rain. And dont believe that the fuel is clean as it is sold. I buy fuel mainly at the same places and I replace my fuel filter at least once a year. You would not believe the trash and color the fuel is?
Your not thowing away your money by replacing the filter.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, thanks. I'll look into that....but.... yesterday the problem just went away. I don't know how or why, but it hasn't done it since yesterday morning and I've started my car half a dozen times since then.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, I lied, it happened again this morning off a cold start, but yet again, 2 secons of reving and it went away. I'll check the filter/pump/injectors (if I need to).
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i'm damn near sure my leak is coming from an injector because when I fire up the engine it sounds like it's not firing on all cylindars (one's missing). Anyone know where I can get cheap (but good) injectors. I will probably want to replace them all know anyway. Thanks.

John
Mallan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Jeep back today! The light control box gave up so that needed replaced and the leak was just from a spill pipe? Cheap and easy to replace! Struggling to start seems to have cured itself and fuel economy has gone up 3.5 mph!

Thanks for your time, guys!

Mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: