Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I Get RIPPED OFF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Did I Get RIPPED OFF Reply with quote

Help guys! Need your input. Took my jeep to the 4x4 shop to get my front d30 pinion shaft bearings replaced to get rid of my load/coast whir. Fella pulls my carrier and say's my ring & pinion needs to be replaced. Say's its worn, showing me how shinny it is (the teeth), looks like chrome. Compares another r&p on how it's dull looking. I could see how the teeth had scarring but the teeth felt smooth. He said the bearings didn't look bad. Does it sound like he's ripping me or knows what he's doing. Just trying to save a buck

It does have 245K
raytech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture is difficult to use for diagnosis. shadow especially
you would need to check the amount of rotation before contact. Also all of the teeth should have the same width from one side of the tooth to the other. Look for chamfered teeth tips. That would be an indication of the gear only contacting at the tip.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the Randys ring and pinion page??

It has a section on diagnosing gear noise..

And Also wiggle the pinion if it moves up and down or in and out its not set up right (or bearings are bad..)

Get some kind of marking compound and run the pinion thru it and see what kind of mesh pattern you have..

Also.. Hold the carrier still and rotate th pinion it should only move about .004

thats not much at all.. Mr. Green

From memory I think whirring in axle at decel is loose pinion nut ..

IE.. If you are wiggle the pinion and it moves in and out... Tighten the crap out of the pinion nut. It is supposed to be torqued somewhere around 250 ft lbs. which would give you the in/lb rotational resistence that (not sure of the torque spec on that one..)

I dont know anything about the shop you brought it to so I cant say if they are good or not.. Do you know anything about them???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jakster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMSOIL makes a rearend fluid that seems to cure allot of woes it can be bought from me or at AMSOIL.com same retail price all orders ship from the warehouse. It has stopped allot of growlers from well growling. Chatter and all that stuff seems to go away in 80% of the vehicle owners I have sold it to.I use AMSOIL in everything I own it is the best synthetic oil on the market.
contact Jim at krugerrand38@yahoo.com Krugerrand is my old sail boat that I use AMSOIL in 35 HP pushing 22.000 lbs for 7000 miles at full speed and the oil came out looking like new. And an Atomic 4 marine engine has no oil filter at all. Go figure. I now have 11.000 on the boat 240.000 on my old Dodge Stealth and 276.000 on a Dodge diesel all on AMSOIL. Now I have this new Jeep to test it on hey it meets all the specs so why not use the best.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run amsoil .. I get mine from Dirk at http://www.4x4oil.com he is a fellow Grand owner.. and post on several forums..(He is Cueball )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the gears mesh and run together, they develop that shiny pattern where there is metal-to-metal contact. I'm no gear guy...but your gears look fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: