Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

comanche motor swap?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okxj17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: comanche motor swap? Reply with quote

I have an 86 comanche with a 2.8L now its there any swap i could do instead of a 4.0?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's other swaps you could do. A SB 350 conversion comes to mind...are you just looking for ideas or do you have something specific your thinking about?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
okxj17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i was thinking of a v8. What years and model truck should i pull it from and what am i goingto have to change?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, a V8 will have to sit lower than the stock engine in order to get the hood closed. So the existing locations of the motor mounts are in the wrong place. They need to be cut out and new ones welded in. Lowering the engine will probably cause some interfere with, at a minimum, the upper control arms, so you'll probably need to consider at least a 3" lift.

The overall length of a V8 block causes problems at the radiator (which will also have to be replaced...it's inadequate to cool a engine that big). Also, due to the small size of the engine compartment, you're choice in exhaust manifolds/headers is fairly limited...mainly being expensive custom headers or low performance late model manifolds.

Specifically to a 350, the location of the distributor causes issues at the firewall. Like the radiator, neither is insurmountable, but both require some fabrication. A lowered 350 is also going to place the stock oil filter location right in the path of the front driveshaft. So you'll most likely need to have a remote oil filter too.

Let's not even get into tranny and t-case possibilities...you could go with an AW4 auto, it should work just fine with a 350. Or you could pull the whole kit and kaboodle (engine/tranny/tcase) out of the donor and fab it all in. As for what truck to pull it out of, as long as it's out of a year the same as, or later than yours it'll be all nice and legal...regardless of where you live.

Check Advance Adapters. I know they have the motor mount and bellhousing kits for 350 swaps and they do make custom headers for squeezing SB's into XJ's/MJ's.

Oh...you'll also need to get the computer(s) for the engine you pull and intergrate it into the MJ. A challenge, but it can be done.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
okxj17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the info. I dont have the time and place and money to do such a big project, is there an easier and little bigger motor you could swap in?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only engine that's going to come close to simply bolting in (that I know of) is gonna be 4.0L.

Quote:
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: swap Reply with quote

Maybe you could swap it with a GM 3.x engine seeing those were the 2.8 upgrade for GM. Obviously you'd need the computer but you'd think the tranny would match up. Take a look at this link for changing the S10 2.8. http://www.high-performance-engines.com/engineswap.html

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: