Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to tell if 4wd engaged

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanebrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: How to tell if 4wd engaged Reply with quote

I own a 94 Wrangler and can tell when 4H is engaged. My son just bought a 2002 Wrangler Sport and when we try and engage 4H the dash light doesn't come on and it just doesn't feel the same as my 94 when driving. No owners manual came with it so we might be doing it wrong. Any help or what to look for would be appreciated.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull up on the 4WD lever when it clicks into the 4hi position. The light should come on but it's only a light and I wouldn't ever trust the light.

When the front end is under power, the u-joints in the shafts will bind when you are turned sharply and on a high traction surface, like a street. This will cause the wheel to rock back and forth while you try and hold it. Try it with the Jeep. If it isn't getting into 4hi properly, you won't get the u-joint bind and the resultant steering feedback. Do NOT give it a lot of gas. You do NOT need to really crank the wheel. You'll know when it's doing it...don't force the wheel further. Then drop it out of 4hi and try again. You notice the steering feedback is no longer there.
Kanebrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried this out and didn't notice any difference in the steering. Is there something I can check mechanical or electrical?

Also in pulling the small 4H lever back we didn't notice any click just a smooth motion which came to a stop.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mods to the Jeep like a body lift? Could be something as simple as the linkage. What about low range? Will it go into that?

Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not so much a click but you'll be able to feel it in the linkage when you get it selected right.
Kanebrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ...it has a 3in lift and 35in tires.
Also, it won't go into 4L either.

I wish the forum allowed pics. I could show you a shot of it.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanebrake wrote:
Yes ...it has a 3in lift and 35in tires.
Also, it won't go into 4L either.

I wish the forum allowed pics. I could show you a shot of it.

It does....
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1495

A 3" body lift? Right there is your problem. The linkage needs adjustment to compensate for the 3" body lift. My suggestion is to drop down a 1" BL and get yourself some suspension lift. Body lifts of that height are ugly and have more potential to destroy your body mounts with the extra leverage created by the tall pucks.
Kanebrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here are a couple of pics of the Wrangler.
Kanebrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the other one.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...it's a linkage problem. With that much body lift the linkage won't work right as ehirner mentioned. And to stuff 35's under only 3" of lift won't allow any real offroading as you won't be able to disconnect the front sway bar without wiping out the front fenders & flares.

If it were me, I'd also drop to a 1" body lift and do at least an inexpensive Rubicon Express RE7030 2" Budget Boost. That would still net you the same height, but 35's are simply too large for that little lift IMO. I have the same tires on my '02 TJ and am running the RE7000 4.5" Super-Flex Kit (with Xenon extended flares) which netted me more like 5" and still a 1" body lift was suggested to run 35's.

Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
If it were me, I'd also drop to a 1" body lift and do at least an inexpensive Rubicon Express RE7030 2" Budget Boost. That would still net you the same height, but 35's are simply too large for that little lift IMO. I have the same tires on my '02 TJ and am running the RE7000 4.5" Super-Flex Kit (with Xenon extended flares) which netted me more like 5" and still a 1" body lift was suggested to run 35's.

Wink

While not recommended, a body lift provides you with pure tire clearance unlike a suspension lift. Running the 3" BL accomplishes the job of giving lots os clearance for bigger tires. It just isn't recommended for aesthetics and also for safety.
Kanebrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... well, he only uses it for mud bogging. Theres no places to rock climb and he just likes to take it down to the sand dunes after its rained. Would a 3in body lift be ok for just that use? and how much would it take to reconnect the 4wd?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: