Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any front brake upgrades?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumpkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Any front brake upgrades? Reply with quote

Hey, new to the forum, tried to search for this but didn't see. Are there any ways to make the front better using some boneyard parts? Wondered if there was something with dual pistons that maybe someone tried. Trying to think outside the box. Anyone try smaller master cylinders?

Had to replace fronts recently and thought there might be some improvements to be made. Thinking of rear disc next time I change diff lube.

Like to make stronger stops before getting bigger tires.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two options...the WJ knuckles and brakes which is very much a DIY fabrication and Vanco Power Brake Supply's Big Brake kit. Vanco's kit is very new and still in testing by Vanco.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
There are two options...the WJ knuckles and brakes which is very much a DIY fabrication and Vanco Power Brake Supply's Big Brake kit. Vanco's kit is very new and still in testing by Vanco.

Just as an FYI, Vanco's kit has been released, but distribution has been limited, he's selling them as fast as they can make them. You can email him and 'reserve' a kit, but their $$$, IMHO they seem to be worth every penny from the reviews I've read from those that have already installed them.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
ehirner wrote:

Just as an FYI, Vanco's kit has been released, but distribution has been limited, he's selling them as fast as they can make them. You can email him and 'reserve' a kit, but their $$$, IMHO they seem to be worth every penny from the reviews I've read from those that have already installed them.

I have one of the kits and have been in contact with Van frequently. The kits has not been released as a production item yet. It is still very much in evaluation and testing to full ascertain it's effectiveness and work out all the bugs.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
KnightFire wrote:
ehirner wrote:

I have one of the kits and have been in contact with Van frequently. The kits has not been released as a production item yet. It is still very much in evaluation and testing to full ascertain it's effectiveness and work out all the bugs.

Well, HELL! When are ya gonna give us your impressions and how-to install guide?!?! Very Happy

The last message I got from Vanco was that they would take reservations, is that not the case now?

I've been eye balling this kit for awhile, need to get other things addressed first though. I'd love to hear your review!!!

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
Well, HELL! When are ya gonna give us your impressions and how-to install guide?!?! Very Happy

The last message I got from Vanco was that they would take reservations, is that not the case now?

I've been eye balling this kit for awhile, need to get other things addressed first though. I'd love to hear your review!!!

The first batch of kits...about 10-15 IIRC...were sent out about 2 weeks ago. Van has about 40 kits coming together shortly, of which at last count 20 were reserved by people who contacted Van directly.

How-to install...remove tires/wheels, remove stock brakes, remove shafts and hubs, remove steering from stock knuckles, remove stock knuckles. The install is reverse with some added steps to make sure everything clears. A very small portion of the diameter of the hub needs to be taken down to the rotors fit over the Jeep hubs.

Seriously, Van included what I thought were very thorough destruct...err...instructions considering the novelty of the kit and I was within the first 10 to have a kit. I didn't have any problems doing the install. I will admit, this isn't the first time I've removed knuckles from a TJ housing so I was fairly familiar with the procedure. There is a thorough break-in/bedding procedure for the new brakes that must be adhered to rather strictly to fully gain the benefits of the kit.

My impressions...I need to re-bed mine as I don't think mine got hot enough when I tried the break-in procedure in the rain. However, I haven't had a chance with other projects and weather that doesn't cooperate (friggin' Tropical Storm Ernesto). So far, I very much like them but I'll hold any further comments until I can do a proper break-in procedure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: