Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

greenbean TJ Buildup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenbean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: greenbean TJ Buildup Reply with quote

All,
I guess this will be the start of my thread. Here are my particulars;
98TJ sport, Banks stinger exhaust, RE 4.5 superflex lift(Still in boxes!) SYE, AEV Argent 16x8 wheels, Wrangler 315 75Rx16 MT/R tires. Future parts to be installed: Ford 8.8 with the new superior c-clip eliminator kit, Dana 300/flip kit/4:1 low range/Ox-lockers, skid plates!!!

Here are some pics of my wheels, they are sweet! ;D
Will

http://members.cox.net/wandsva/wheel1.gif
http://members.cox.net/wandsva/wheel2.gif

This link is also to my web page, it's kinda corny but it was my first attempt at using frontpage, so I'm still working it! Smile

A few stock "Before" pics for the thread to compare to and a couple of pics of the Nylint Crawler for the heck of it!
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/wandsva/AEVWheels032.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/wandsva/AEVWheels033.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/wandsva/AEVWheels035.jpg

26 AUG 2006

Alright, made some small progress on the Jeep,....Finally got the tires and wheels back from APO all ready to go, When all my Chief stuff is finally done, maybe I can do the actual lift, Errrrrr! >Sad .Labor day weekend is actually looking good to do it since it will be a 4 day weekend for us at work. Here are the wheels with tires mounted:

Should look pretty sweet once they are on the Jeep!!!! ;D

02 SEP 2006
Alright, Here are some pics DAY 1 of Black Betty's Buildup! I have to honestly say I was a little unsure of my skills, add to that some very uncooperative fasteners, and two wheel lugs that had to be drilled out, and waiting for a lift for about 2 hours! Whew, It was a painful day for me and my buddy Mike who has never did a lift either,....but we kept at it and got the TJ to the point where we can put some of the "New" stuff on tomorrow! Yea!

Jeep going UUUUPPP on the lift.

Mike, working on the left rear wheel, little did we know what a problem child that wheel would be!

Picture of the same wheel where we finally realized it wasn't coming off without taking drastic measures!

Problem #2 for the day, nither one of the bolts for the front shocks(The ones at the top) would come off, soooo I got the grinder and cut both of those little suckas out of there!

Shot of the front end that I was working on.

Mike, with the drill working on those lug nuts,...just keep drilling, just keep drilling!!!

Frontend, end of day one.

Rearend day one, the rear trackbar was a real pain to get out!

Jeep on the lift, all secured for tonight.

Pile of scrap left from todays work!(Or crap if you prefer!) Will update tomorrow with more Pics, hopefully I can get it all finished up, I still have to do the SYE and Rear Driveshaft, Oh yeah and replace 2 wheel studs somehow!!!! Later Folks!

Will aka greenbean

3 SEP 2006
Things seemed to go well today but the time just disappeared and so we didn't get it finished, matter of fact it's still stuck up on the lift at Oceana, waiting for me tomorrow. I had 1 major problem today,...I could not for the life of me get the old pitman arm off, made multiple attempts with a puller, tried beating on it in the hopes it would help knock it loose, and after cranking on the puller several times trying to get it off and ending up sprawled out on my back, I left it alone and worked on other stuff. I am out of ideas on how to get that sucker off without destroying my steering box. Heres todays pics;

Rear lowers installed and rear track bar bracket,....

Upper adjustable arms and extended sway bar links,....

Extended bumpstops, minus the stock portion.

Rear coils, spring compressors are definitely a plus!!!

Right side rear nearly completed.

Front lower arms and upper adjustables,......

New rear shocks installed,....

Left rear drum, notice I didn't get around to replacing the missing studs today!!!

Shot of the rear track bar bracket and the Tera Flex shock re-locators I picked up on Ebay for Cheap!!!!

Right rear shocks installed,...

Shot of the front stainless steel extended brake lines installed.

Shot of the parts left to install, Both front and rear track bars,...Front coils, and still have to get the SYE and driveshaft installed,...Man this is going slow!!!!! Sad

End of Day 2 Notes:

Well after prepping my brain for the rest of the install work I have to do today, I realized that I put the rear shocks on CAN down which is wrong, soooo I will have to re-work that item and re-install them the correct way! Errrrrr

7 SEP 2006
Man, I finally finished Here is some pics of the TJ sitting in the driveway at home.
[IMG]
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/wandsva/BuildupDay3-4001.jpg[/IMG]
Left front view of suspension,....

Shot of driverside rear upper/lower control arms,....

Driveshaft shot,....

Transfer case pucs,....(these are temporary)

View of the front from underneath,....

Front driveshaft control arm shot from the drivers side,.....

Left side shot,...

Right side shot,....

Comparison shot to wife's new 4Runner,.....

Front trac-bar view,....

Sorry no new wheels yet, will get them on this weekend hopefully! As soon as I do along with the new bumper I'll post some more pictures,.....Will ;D

Last edited by greenbean on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenbean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Day 3 Greenbean buildup summary Reply with quote

All,
Well it didn't go as I had hoped today, I didn't quite get it finished and there was no WAY I was going to attempt to drive it home without trac-bars, No SYE/CV driveshaft installed. Also have no pictures because I walked out today and left the camera on my counter.Sad Couple of issues I ran into today was the pitman arm just did not want to come off, they kept giving us a harmonic balancer puller, so finally after that three armed puller had flew off whilst torquing on for about the tenth time, we went in to the tool area and found they had an actual pitman arm puller, Man wish they knew their tools better. Anyway, it still took some serious effort to get that sucker off and them all of a sudden k-pow!!!!! The pitman arm, puller, breaker bar went flying all different directions, but it finally came off, thank God!!! The other issue I had was the Trac-bars, the rear is having a hard time getting around my exhaust pipe so I will have to play with it and see if I can get it jammed in there the next time. The front Trac-bar requires you to drill out the frame side mount with a 5/8" bit and of course they did not have a single 5/8" bit. So I worked it as best I could with burr bit that was still to small and pretty much all it ended up doing was shining up the hole on the frame side mount,...I'll have to go get a bit the right size before the next time. So The things left to do are: Get both trac-bars installed, center the axles, Get the SYE and CV driveshaft in, replace two broken studs in the D35, dial in the adjustable upper control arms to get my axle angles right, and bleed the brake lines, Not a lot to do but none the less It kept me from driving it home, Let alone being able to drive to work! Frustrating 3 days that I honestly though would only take 2 to accomplish, but chalk it up to expirience, I know what to look for now!!!! More to follow whenever I get a chance to work on it again, I had to store it over at Oceana for the time being. Later!

Will Very Happy
greenbean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Additional notes Greenbean Buildup Reply with quote

Just thought of some questions some folks might pose about my buildup,....
- Yes, I am using the stock D35 right now which is completely inadequte for wheeling with the Wheels and tires I have!
-Solution: I have a Ford 8.8 in my garage that will be built up when I get to it, I just wanted to finally get my lift on because it has been sitting in my garage for about a year now and I couldn't take it anymore!

- I will more than likely put 1" BL on just to give the tires more flex room, but once again not really an issue for now till the 8.8 gets installed.

For anyone that is new to Jeeps and wanting to do something similar the stock D35 is a really puny housing, even with the Super 35 type kits out there the tubes themselves will still Flex under hard wheeling and breakage may still occur. Some people have trussed up the D35 but I think the 8.8 is a better solution, you get the massive tubes and I have seen up 35 spline axle shafts for the 8.8. The actual axle tubes in the 8.8 are huge compared to the D35 tubes also!

Later, Will
greenbean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pics of the finished lift added to the top of the thread! 7 SEP 2006.

greenbean Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: