Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to bleed the clutch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinaldex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: How to bleed the clutch? Reply with quote

It keeps getting increasingly more 'grindy' getting it in to 3rd, and now 2nd is starting to ever so slightly make a noise. I honestly don't think it's the transmission because the last time this happened the shop I took it to that was going to work on an issue with the motor bled it and it went away (2 years ago or more).
I haven't looked underneath her, but I figure someone here would know exactly where to go so I don't have to search (dont have a Haynes/Chilton).
She's a 1992 YJ 2.5L AX5 tranny.

Also, do you bleed it the same way with brakes (ie, wrench on the nozzle, someone up top presses it down a few times to get pressure and holds)?

Any other procedural recommendations?
spinaldex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one knows how to bleed a YJ's clutch?
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it some time. 4 hours isn't near long enough to expect a response.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
spinaldex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, slow boards then.
spinaldex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr, it looks like the Clutch MC line leads in to the Tranny housing ... so, you have to drop the tranny or have a little kid reach in to the inspection plate hole to do it? Or did I miss something ...
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, isn't that a sealed system? Also, have you figured out how air is getting into the system? If you are able to, then yes, it'll be like bleeding brakes. open the bleeder screw, pump or use gravity, tighten, repeat till bubbles stop coming out. Be sure to keep the master cylinder topped off w/ fluid. And if your lines lead into the transmission, then you likely have an internal slave cylinder (again, not sure what year they moved it) but if you end up having to work on it, might as well put in a new clutch while you have everything taken apart.
Geeper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall...the slave cyclinder has a line to the master cyclinder and one that is a bleeder line that sticks out of the bell housing same side as the line to the master cyclinder, 10mm I think. Check your (clutch) master cyclinder level, make sure It's full. if so bleed the system as stated above. If the level is low, look for a "happy trail" at the bottom of your bell housing. If you find one, It's time for replacment. Also look under the dash to see if you have fluid coming down the inside firewall where the rod from the clutch pedal goes thru to the master cyclinder. If so it's the clutch master is on it's way out. Lastly, check your transmission level or when was the last time it had a fluid change ? Good luck ! Geeper
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: