Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherokee died, need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phxjeep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Cherokee died, need help Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to the site as you know and came upon it as I am new to the Jeep world. I have a 1991 Cherokee and need some advice.

My problem is that my engine will try to start but wont. This happened when I was driving down the road a few days ago and my engine completely died. Last year I replaced the fuel pump. I have the 4.0 and auto. I replaced the CPS earlier today and it did nothing. I also replaced the battery.

I pulled the codes as recommended and was given a 12 and a 54. The 12 is for a battery or computer recently disconnected. The 54 is for the camshaft sensor/distributor timing.

Should I replace the distributor???

Please Help.
Mallan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

What engine do you have? I'd check all the obvious first, check for spark, check you're getting fuel, check your air filter isn't blocked. Can you clear the codes somehow? Maybe disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or overnight? I'm new to these cars and this forum aswell! Sorry for the not-so-in-depth advice!

Mark.
phxjeep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4.0L.
Also, I am rather new at working on my jeep. I am learning as I go. So, I have some questions that might sound obvious to most.

1. How do you check for spark?
2. How do I make sure I am getting fuel?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mallan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no mechanical experience at all then I really would advise taking it to a garage! Otherwise remove a spark lead and plug and place it on the engine, get someone to crank it and literally look for a spark. Literally the same for checking for fuel, remove a line to the fuel injector rail (Sorry - unfamiliar with the 4.0 engine) and put it into a small tub or bottle and get someone to crank the engine. BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THESE - YOU DON'T WANT TO BLOW YOURSELF UP OR ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF! If you are unsure at all just take it to a garage. It's not worth trying to save a few $$$ and seriously injuring yourself.

Best of luck!

Mark.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: no start Reply with quote

Seeing you are getting "54 for the camshaft sensor" it sounds like it may be the sensor under the distributor cap. Mine went before, the truck would turn over but not start. Look under the distributor, there will be 2 wires coming out from it. Those go to the sensor. Cost around $60 from what I remember. If you buy a Haynes manual it will tell you how to test it with a volt meter.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
phxjeep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will give that a try.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it's your crank (camshaft) position sensor. This is a relatively inexpensive part and is known as a weak link in the Cherokee's reliability. I have known three Cherokees personally that have had the problem you described (including my own '9Cool, and they all ended up being the crank position sensor. I have even read in magazines about guys who buy an extra crank position sensor and keep it in their Cherokees at all times because it's so common for them to go out and leave people stranded.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you've already replaced the crank position sensor and your getting a 54 code, it's most likely the cam position sensor in the distributor. To check, the test for both is the same. See this thread.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: