Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid-70s CJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Mid-70s CJ? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I was recently referred to your site to learn where to install a CB in my new ride.
I currently drive an '06 Wrangler, Unlim., traded in my '01 Cherokee and have a mid-70s CJ5 parked at home.
I'n not driving the CJ because it, from the time I bought 3 or 4 years ago, has way too much play in the steering.
I've had a couple "knowledgeable" people look at it and can't figure out how to correct it.
I know nothing about mechanics by the way.
The previous owner was an off-road enthusiast and mechanicly enclined but I don't know what all he did to rig this ride.
It's jacked way up, fiberglass body and a 350 small block.
It feels good on my property but the couple times I've driven it on pavement I thought I was going to die.
At moderate speed (35mph?) I lose control of the steering. Atleast I can't keep it in a lane.
A mechanic told me he thinks the weld is flexing where the steering is welded to the frame.
Does that make since or does anyone have any idea what to look for?
I could e-mail pictures and I will get some details on the tires and lift and such when I get home tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: could be Reply with quote

you say jacked way up......via shackle? If you have big shackles up front your caster/camber is all outta whack and that will make for some squirrely handling at speed.
84 CJ-7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your shackle and steering box mountings for cracks. I, like bockwinkle question the lift. I have a four inch lift on my 73 CJ5. I installed six degree shims between the axle and spring (thick side forward). A alignment shop might be the best bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: