Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWBIE NEEDS HELP DRIVELINE KNOCK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digglerude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: NEWBIE NEEDS HELP DRIVELINE KNOCK Reply with quote

Just got a 98 TJ sport, lifted.....I think its 4 inches....Not sure as there dont seem to be any markings on the springs....it has rancho shocks...but i know that doesnt mean its a rancho lift.....bought used from dealer. 118k.

Problems......Rear end seems to fish tail really easy.....I was told the track bar was tighted up.....didnt seem to work too well....Where should it be and how can I tighten up the rear end?

Drive line seems to have a weird knock......noticed it 5 times at least on the 35 miles treck back to my house. Seems like when I am going 50/55.....let of the gas....wham! Doesnt always happen....no particular gear either.......and it happened once after down shifting into like 2nd and takin off fairly fast.....knock happened after gassin fast. I can almost relate the sound to a vehicle coming out of 4 wheel drive......the jeep was in 2 wheel drive though.....

Im totally new to these jeeps....had an old YJ in college and wanted a tj......finnally found one I liked....hope the problems described arent too serious!? Rolling Eyes
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana 35?
digglerude

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes dana 35 rear. Sway is really bad.....I can rock the jeep with ease back and forth just sitting in the thing.....stiffer shocks needed? I have rancho RS5000's acorrding to the stickers. HELP ANY IDEAS.....
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digglerude wrote:
Yes dana 35 rear. Sway is really bad.....I can rock the jeep with ease back and forth just sitting in the thing.....stiffer shocks needed? I have rancho RS5000's acorrding to the stickers. HELP ANY IDEAS.....

No, not stiffer shocks. You've already got kidney beaters on there.

Are your front and rear swaybars connected?
digglerude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....front disconnects are terraflexs I believe(just by lookin at all the different brands online).....kinda cheesy lookin.....long straigh black with a cotter pin on the bottom joint..... They are installed....the front doesnt seem to sway so much....its the rear end that feels like its gonna fall out from under you. Everything is connected in the rear.....I dont think there are quick disconnects back there.....do they even make rear discos? Whatever lift I have....again the brand is unknown at this time.....I have a track bar relocation bracket......so I am assuming its the stock track bar......Im gonna check the joints on it today and try to see if theres anyway to adjust it...but again I no nothing about these jeeps and I dont know if the stocker can be dialed out. If it can Id wanna dial it out correct? Or would I wanna dial it in?
digglerude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas as to waht the knock could be? All the U's look good....Doesnt look like I have anything broke underneith?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your sway, I can do the same thing rocking it back and forth manually. The important thing is how many cycles does the suspension go through until it stops swaying once you stop trying to make it sway on purpose?.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digglerude wrote:
any ideas as to waht the knock could be? All the U's look good....Doesnt look like I have anything broke underneith?

Possibly slop in drivetrain. There is a certainly amount of "play" built into the drivetrain through the backlash in your gears.

It could be a variety of other things though, transmission mount, control arm bushings, broken bracket, etc. Keep looking at things. Try having someone else apply torque to the drivetrain (like when you start moving) and you look underneath to see what's moving or where the noise is coming from. Don't crawl underneath...just look.
digglerude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced all 4 shocks.....this after removing one off the front and discovering it was totally shot.....I could move then thing back and forth like a slide ruler......Ride is 100% better now. I went with 4 skyjacker hydro's rather than the rancho again....As for the knock....I tool the rear diff cover off....to reveal an after market limited slip rear end I think its a lock rite or trac lock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: