Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

76 renegade v-8 wont start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: 76 renegade v-8 wont start Reply with quote

hi i bought a 1976 jeep renegade with the amc 304 in it.. the car turns over but does not start... so i replaced a whole bunch of stuff leaving me with the same problem... bassically everything is new from the battery to the plugs... still no spark... im getting fuel because i can see it in the carb and the fuel pump is making a very distinct im working noise so... i have executed the spark plug test twice... still no spark... so for a while i took a break so i didnt break the window on the car because i was getting really pissed but tonight i decided to bring the car back some love and i want to get it going... so tonight i noticed that in the car a bunch of the wires were all torn up... i have no idea whats what the hanes manual kind of sucks... but im pretty sure that the wires disconnected are for the guages... (so there not important right now) but i would like to know about the connections under there and what connects to what type of thing.. a diagram or detailed description would mean the world to me.. anything to help would be awesome... thank you all
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a CJ expert by any means...but my '77 SJ Chief had an ignition module in it (located on the firewall or inner fender?). I would expect (but would be guessing) the CJ's had the same thing with the 304 as well. Not a cheap part, but when all else fails I'd replace it. That's what I had to do, and mine fired right up afterwards. Have you replaced that yet? If memory serves, it was like a $100 part at the time. I figured worse case is I'd have a back up because they go without warning.

Just a thought.

Wink
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man thanks for the tip, but i already have replaced the module,regulator,selenoid,coil,distributer,battery,plugs,spark plug wires, .... everything... except the wiring harness but i do appreciate your idea because i also had the same one.
Geeper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I had a customer tow his 76 CJ to my shop. Same problem your having. All voltages at the module were correct and I had a distributor signal. What I found was the module grounded to the fender, the fender to the tub had corrosion (bad ground) when I leaned on the fender and had my son crank it it would fire up. I found this by accident after spending three hours checking it out. run a jumper from the module to the engine see what happens. Good luck on your quest. Geeper
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... omg... that sounds pretty dead on... okay well umm im really excited now... but how exactly do i go about doing this... when u say jumper to the engine.. do u mean ground the module to the engine block????
Geeper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I wasn't real clear on that. You should have five wires. Red=12 volts with key on, white=distributor, blue=distributor,green=coil and black=ground. Attach one end of your jumper wire to the black wire at the ignition module, the other end to the battery negative post. I had a after thought, the battery negative would be a better place to attach to. Let me know what happens. I'm stuck at home for another week recovering from a hernia operation, so I have nothing but time. Geeper
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... somone is actually going to jump the car??? or is it that im just taking my own voltage from me cranking it... sorry im having a hard time understanding i just want to be a 100% clear before i do this.. thanks though... but bassically im putting voltage straight into my ignition rather than having it go all the way through the wiring harness and that makes sense i just dont get whether or not im connecting the black wire with the jumper cable to a positive on somones car to be jumped or if im just using my battery in my car????
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha sorry i read it really slow and figured it out.. okay yea i wasnt thinking ummm i grounded the black wire to the battery negative and still nothing....... but what i was talking about earlier was bassically somthing somone else told me .. that there should be a way to run a positive wire into the ignition module and start the car that way that way u do not have to run all the way through the wiring harrness... would u know how to do somthing like that because im pretty sure my ground is good because it didnt work when i fixed it the way u said... so now i would just like to find some way to almost hot wire the car... any ideas...???? thanks for your help so far Very Happy
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know a way i can start the jeep by eliminating all of my wiring harness and stuff... cause i cant find where the wiring is wrong so i want to hot wire it... how can i do this
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are really lame...... no one says shit
wvjeeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your distributor have condenser? it'll go bad and you'll not get spark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: