Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer case swap.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
98 5.9L LIMITED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Transfer case swap. Reply with quote

Hello all. New here. Nice site. I need some advice. My 98 grand has a249 transfer case with a very bad viscous coupler. I've read the write-up detailing the swap to a 242 tc. Very good by the way. My question is this. Is there going to be a 242 tc available that is a direct swap? One that doesn't require anything other than me removing the 249 and installing the 242. I can swap out the transfer case myself. Quite honestly I'm a bit apprehensive about taking the unit apart and replacing parts.
I appreciate any help in advance. Cool
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure man, all the cool kids are doing the 249-242 swap. Hell, it's cheaper to buy a used 242 than it is just to fix the viscous coupler in a 249! I've got a 242 in my '98 5.9 (I lucked out and found one from a 97 ZJ with the 5.2 on ebay). If you want the direct fit, just get the transfer case out of a post 96 (if you want to keep the lo-lock) V-8 Grand Cherokee. If you don't mind messing around with different input shaft lengths then just about any Jeep 242 transfer case will do. However, the word on the street is that the 231 is stronger since it has less in it to break so you may want to look into that as well. But read- then reread Swampy's tech writeup.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
98 5.9L LIMITED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I hear you on the 231 being stronger. Quite honestly though I like the idea of the 242 better. So any 96 or newer 242 will do? That sounds awesome. I should get one for out of a v-8 or does it matter? I'm currently looking on ebay as well. Thanks again. Cool
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming from your member name "98 5.9L LIMITED" I would guess that you've got a 5.9 V-8. There are different shaft lengths from the 4.0 I-6 and the 5.2 & 5.9 V-8's. Therefore, both the 5.2 and the 5.9 would share the same shaft length. Since you don't want to have to crack open your 249 and take the shaft out of it to put it in your 242, you would want to find a 242 that came from a vehicle with a V-8. That rules out Jeep Cherokees. The Grand Cherokee was also available with the 4.0 so you would want to avoid those as well. So therefore look for one that came out from behind a V-8. I'm not real familiar with the other engine options that came after the ZJ so be careful if you come across a 242 from something newer than a '98. Also, Hummers were equipped with a version of the 242 that is not really anything like the ones that the Jeeps came with. I really don't know the difference between the dodge and the Jeep cases either.
I do know that during the '96 model year the Lo-Lock feature was added. This allows the transfer case to lock up like a center differential and split the torque evenly front to rear. I'm not sure at what point in the year this feature was added so I would try to stick to 97's and 98's. If you look on ebay, there are rebuilders and remanufacturers that can tell you exactly the specs that you need- you are going to pay a fortune if you buy a remanufactured case. I only spent a few hundred dollars (including shipping) and had a friend rebuild it for me.

Look at these auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Rebuilt-242-J-Transfer-Case-Grand-Cherokee-XJ-D-ZJ_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46104QQihZ009QQitemZ190015462382QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSFER-CASE-NP-242-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ006QQitemZ160026639833QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You can even try the For Sale or Wanted sections of this forum. But you should really try to track down someone in this forum like Swamp Boy, 1fox2go, or viper24242. They may be able to give you more specific answers than I can for sure. If you don't see them around trolling the forum then just PM them.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing- you can also go to your local salvage yards (I don't know where you live) and start asking about 97-98 ZJ Grand Cherokees with V-8's and the Selec-Trac (as the NP or NV 242 is known). I'm sure that they would be glad to sell you one. Or you could try a nationwide Auto Recycler like Greenleaf and I know that they could track one down for you somewhere in the US if not in your region. If you go to a pull it yourself type yard then just either look at the tag actually on the case or the selections of the lever- remember the 242 has 2Hi, 4Hi part time, 4Hi full time, neutral, and 4 Lo.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
98 5.9L LIMITED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful. Those links from ebay are much appreciated. I'll make sure I get one from a 97-98 v8.
I do have the 98 5.9 and I absolutely love it.
Thanks again. Cool
98 5.9L LIMITED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having difficulty finding one from a V-8. I have found several that say they are for grands from 96-98. So far they are all from 4.0L. Will these work? Help me out if you can. I really need to get my jeep back on the road. There is a ton of knowledgeable people on this site. Everyone feel free to respond if you like. I thank you for any help you can offer. Cool
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shaft from the 4.0 242 isn't the same length as the 5.9 249 then you'll actually have to crack the case open and swap the shaft from your 249 that you currently have and put it in your salvaged 242. I believe that Swampy covers this process in his write up in the tech section.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PM's .. I sent you a message..

Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: