Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherokee overheating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Cherokee overheating Reply with quote

My brother and I just replaced every component of the cooling system on his '95 Cherokee, and it still overheats when I run the AC and it is over 90 degrees outside. He has a new 3-core rad, new BRX hoses, new 50/50 coolant mixture, new Flow-kooler water pump, new Hesco thermostat housing, new 195 degree hi-flow thermostat, new '97+ style auxilary electric fan, new fan relay, new fan clutch... and the thing will still overheat when I drive over 65 mph. It never gets above 145-155 degrees, but it is still annoying. With these upgrades, I should be able to pull a trailer uphill at 75 mph in 110 degree heat with the AC on and still not overheat. Has anyone else had this problem?
94BGCherokee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya out man. I have 94 XJ with many of the same mods. Although Im not quite sure why you would be complaining about 145-155 being to hot, I had problems in the summer time as well with it getting over 210-220 mainly when sitting or city driving. Did you flush the hole system including the engine itself? Let me know if that was a type or whats going on with that. I live in Saint Louis and I had a 180 balanced thermo from mr gasket. Good Luck!!!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I follow....it's running at 145-155 degrees and you think that's overheating (it's not), or it's actually steaming and boiling over but the temp reads 145-155 degress when doing it? If it's the latter, my call would be a blockage causing the coolant not to flow (even if you flushed it, there could have been some residual buildup in the motor that has now plugged up the rad).

Heat then builds on one side of the blockage, while on the other side (where the temp sensor is) there is no coolant. Aside from a bad sensor, that's about all I can think of that would cause a low temp reading and overheating.

Now it's possible that the sensor is bad, causing the ECU to keep the engine in open loop and eventually overheat. What I'm not sure of is if the 94 has 2 sensors like the later models...one for the ECU and the other for the gauge. It's worth investigating.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm an idiot. When I wrote 145-155, I meant 245-255, or just below the red line. It hasn't actually made it onto the redline, but it's close. It also seems to do it worse when I have the AC on, and I'm not sure if this is just because of the extra load on the engine, or that some sensor gets screwed up. Sorry about writing the wrong tempeture.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it overheat or run hot when the AC is not running and it's hot outside? If so, there could still be an obstruction someplace preventing coolant from flowing freely. If not, the compressor bearings might be shot and putting a bigger load than normal on the engine.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: