Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chassy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Help please! Reply with quote

Ive got a jeep cherokee. 4.0lt. Approx 1995 model. Rear axle problem. Its a limited slip diff. But theres alot of side shaft axle play on the RH side. I opened up the diff cover and saw the RH shaft axle moving in and out quite alot. The C clip wants to fall out. Any advice on how to repair without buying a new diff?

All advice will be appreciated! Very Happy
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-clip rears normally do slide in and out a little bit. This is exagerated when the center pin is removed from the carrier.
Chassy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I repair the excessive side shaft movement (it moves so much in and out that it puts on the ABS light) Nobody seems to know, and I do not want to buy a new diff. Surely it must be repairable!!! Confused
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the center pin worn in the differential? Like I said, c-clip rears normally have a bit of side-to-side movement even with a good center pin. If you've got more than normal, perhaps the center pin is worn.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any work been done in the diff by you or anyone else recently? There are spacers (?) If they were left out or excessively worn this could cause your problem?

What axle do you have and can you determine really what year it is? If it is the rear axle (1995?) it is "most usually" a Chrysler 8.25 but you said you had ABS? Presence of ABS would indicate Dana 35? I am not sure which way "limited slip diff" indicates? I am referencing the STICKY http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=953 but if you or someone has swapped axles then it is a crap shoot?

I have Chrysler 8.25 and when I recently installed a LockRight Locker remember that there are Spacers on each side. (The Installation Instructions with pictures if you'd like to see them, it is sort of GENERIC for all axle configs - You can download this install instruction booklet at http://www.richmondgear.com/installmanuals.html - mine was model 1230) As previously stated, there is some play back and forth even when C Clip is engaged but if yours is excessive check the wear on Center Pin and make sure spacer is installed.

Just my scientific wild-@$$3ed guess! Ok, it is not really scientific after all!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: