Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springs and Shocks Con't.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Springs and Shocks Con't. Reply with quote

Okay, so here's what I think is going to happen to my XJ.

I'm hoping (by Christmas) to have an RE 6030 3.5" lift. Along with that though, I need to purchase shocks. Also, it has been recommended to me to get a t-case drop/SYE, and a trackbar. I'm on a budget and this is a daily driver so I need solutions that will work even if they're not the 100% top brand, best choice.

I need clerification on a number of subjects.

1. Shocks: which ones, where to get, about how much? (mid-range, nothing to break the bank)

2. I know every jeep reacts differently, but more than likely, would I be able to get away with a T-case drop or do I need to get a SYE? (how much, where to buy)

3. With the RE lift kit, what do I do with the track bar(s). I've heard drill and relocate, or just get a new one. (which option, how much, where to buy)

4. The RE discos. Will they work for a while or should I just replace them when I get the kit.

5. Are the SYE and track bar things I can get away with since I don't do a lot of off-roading, and if I don't run into problems with sway, vibes, binding.

I need to know both pricing an all points, as well as do I/do I not need them. Also, what else do I need to buy (consider buying) for this lift to run smoothly.

Any input would help. Thanks.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Springs and Shocks Con't. Reply with quote

1. Shocks: which ones, where to get, about how much? (mid-range, nothing to break the bank)
OME is always a good choice and they will work very well with the 3.5" kit.

2. I know every jeep reacts differently, but more than likely, would I be able to get away with a T-case drop or do I need to get a SYE? (how much, where to buy)
You should be able to get away with a t-case drop....key word should. If it needs an SYE I would go with Advance Adapters and a Tom Woods driveshaft. http://www.4xshaft.com

3. With the RE lift kit, what do I do with the track bar(s). I've heard drill and relocate, or just get a new one. (which option, how much, where to buy)
The best solution would be to go with an RE or JKS adjustable trackbar. Second choice would be a relocation bracket. Last resort would be drill a new hole.

4. The RE discos. Will they work for a while or should I just replace them when I get the kit.
The RE discos that come with the kit will work fine. You can always replace them with something like JKS Quickers or RE Gen II's later.

5. Are the SYE and track bar things I can get away with since I don't do a lot of off-roading, and if I don't run into problems with sway, vibes, binding.
If you don't have any vibes, you can get away without the SYE. IF you do however, you should put one in ASAP. Vibrations have a way of wearing out other components faster. As for the track bar, it centers the front axle under the Jeep. Which is important, especially for onroad. Not having the axle track straight will put stresses on things like bushings and control arms in ways they are not designed to handle.

As far as where to buy stuff, shop around. Different vendors offer deals at different times. Off the top of my head, here's some of the places I aquire parts from:
Northridge4x4.com
dpgoffroad.com
4x4rockshop.com
4x4groupbuy.com
fatboysoffroad.com
DC4WD.com
Bob Supplee
jegs.com
summitracing.com
pscmotorsports.com

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks phantum. I have a few more questions. I'm ordering much sooner than I though and need some info quick.

1. Shocks: I looked at the OME ones, and they are out of my price range. I need something that's roughly $40-$60 each.

2. Track Bar: Where can I get a relocation bracket until I can scrounge up the money for an adjustable.

3. I took another look under the car and saw that my leafs are completely flat, if not slightly inverted (hence the sooner than ready order). Is this car safe for around town driving? That is, too and from school 2 miles <45mph, and to the store/mom's office 3 miles <35mph. I asked my mom to trade since most of my driving is highway 55+ and I don't want the jeep doing that on less than good springs. Can my famliy drive it, or does it need to sit?

Thanks for your help. Let me know as soon as you guys can.

John
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, since looking under the car. She still runs the same (like maybe it's been that way). No grinding, binding, shimy. Will she do fine for a month or so just doing around town stuff until I get the new hardware installed?
gtouimet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's an idea for a track bar:

http://www.go2rdsi.com/racing/jeep/xjstore/xj.html

About $28

You might want to try ebay as well.

I don't know how much springs of that nature can take, but my opinion would be that if they have gotten that way over time and normal driving, then they should be fine for a little while longer. But again, that is my opinion and hopefully someone else that actually uses their brain will pipe in.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3.5" of lift you should be able to use these Gabriels:
Front - G63511
Rear - G63660

Last time I checked, they were about $35 apiece. I ran them under mine when it had ~4" of lift with no problems. They will take a bit of modification to make them work though. The steel sleeve will need to be removed from at least the lower eyes of the rear shocks and the lower eyes on the fronts. After that, the rears will go right on lower rear axle mounts but you'll need BPE's (homemade or bought) on the lower front. I honestly can't remember if there were bar pins in the upper eye's of the rears (I used BPE's)...so you might need to remove the sleeves and use BPE's there as well.

I know Skyjacker makes a relocation bracket and I'm pretty sure RE makes one as well. As stated above, it will run you from $25-$30

As far as the rear springs, you're probably not looking at spring failure until they are completley inverted. IF you don't beat on it (i.e. wheel it like you stole it), you should be fine. I would inspect the areas where the leafs meet the spring eyes (where the bushings are) and look for any signs of metal fatigue...cracking, deformation, etc.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: