Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major Engine Leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Major Engine Leak Reply with quote

I found out this past weekend that a .50 BMG round from a Barrett rifle will totally tear straight through the top end of an of a V-6 engine- valve covers, heads, manifold, everything. It won't penetrate all the way through the block though. You've also got to be behind a barrier or pretty far away (you can be over a mile away with a Barrett) when you send one through the top end because there is all kinds of crazy metal flying everywhere when the armor piercing(AP) rounds penetrate that thing.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want pics eh? Well, I currently don't own a digital camera so you'll have to use your imagination until I get a digital camera. Or when I get a scanner to scan photos from film. Hell, my computer is a 550 Mhz Pentium III and I'm running Windows 98- I'm sending this reply using a 56.6 dial up modem. How much do digital cameras cost these days? Can you get one for less than $200? I've never wanted to invest in something that I think I'd rarely use- I've always had a different interpretation of the old "point and shoot" saying. That being said, I am going back down South to my Grandad's farm in two weeks. If I get a digital camera by then, I'll take some pictures of the carnage. If you can get a digital camera for around $200 (and I don't mean one that has such poor resolution that the pixels make the picture look like it was made from legos) which brand/model would you recommend? I just took a look at one of your posts: http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24&highlight=
The pictures that you posted look good. They've got good resolution and definition. What type of camera do you have?
If I had a scanner I could take pictures with my Nikon, get the film developed, and then scan them and post them. But I believe that scanners still cost over a hundred dollars and I think that I would rather invest that money in a digital camera because I'd probably get more use from it rather than a scanner.
By the way, the engine was a GM V-6. It was either a 3.4 or 3.8 from a chevy or some sort of Oldsmobuick.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.

Last edited by nixt on Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, just messing with ya. Wink

I think those pics were taken on a Canon Powershot A40. Good camera but big by today's standards. Since then I bought a Canon A540 - it's about the same but smaller and better resolution. If you're going camera shopping, check out http://www.abesofmaine.com/ and http://www.keh.com/ they have just about the best prices I've found.
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the date on the post that I quoted. "Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:06 am" In terms of the advances in consumer electronics, that was centuries ago. I'm guessing that even the cheapest cameras now have at least decent resolution. What are you supposed to look for when you buy a digital camera? I would think memory capacity, resolution, features, and ease of use. I am a little bit wary of buying camera equipment on the internet or from a mail order company that I know little about. I found out (the hard way) about "grey" market camera equipment. I have a Nikon N60 and about 7 years ago I bought a lens from a company that advertised in the back of a camera magazine. It was a Nikon lens that cost about 40% less (Nikon lenses cost hundreds of dollars) than the list price of local and on-line retailers. A few months after I bought it, the ring that attached the lens to the camera body broke (I don't know how or if it was my fault). I sent it to Nikon to have it repaired and it turned out it was the lens was an Asian market lens. It was a geniune Nikon product, but never intended to be sold in the U.S.- long story short I had to buy a new lens. After that I kind of got put off by photography. But I guess I'll probably just try to shop around locally and see what is around.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used of Abe's since before I heard of the internet, I've bought 4 or 5 camera bodies from them and never had any problems. Yeah, some of the places sell non-US models which can be a good deal if nothing ever goes wrong with it and you know up front that the warranty is jacked. I've bought a couple of lens from Keh, if nothing else, it's a pretty good place to price used equipment you might be thinking about buying.

For me, I'm still trying to get into digital photography. The higher megapixel cameras translate to higher resolution - the other thing you want to look at is what kind of media does it store the photos on and how fast it processes the images. I tried a Minolta digital at the kids' soccer game this past weekend and after about 3 photos, I'd have to wait while the camera stored the images before I could do anything. I guess for something like that, it's going to depend what you plan to use it for.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 35 Millimeter photography.. I have a pentax K1000 that I absolutly love..

But for digital I use a Sony T7 its a bit pricey but a great camera...

That said... If you can afford a Barrett 50 cal.. you should have one hell of a camera.. Those things sell for around $4500 around here..

While we are on the subject of guns .. Look what I bought for my 7 year old daughter today..

Yes.. Laser sight for the kiddo... rofl

But thats not the best.. The P22 comes with a threaded barrel so I am gonna put on a silencer so it will look like this..

Not as cool as a Barrett but she loves it... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Barrett's not mine; it's a cousins. Don't waste your money on a silencer- I've got a ruger 10/22 with an integral silencer. The high velocity rounds are nowhere near anything that could even be considered silent. Some subsonic and CB rounds won't even cycle the action since they don't have enough power (but they aren't even as loud as a bb gun). To get a class 3 weapon or destructive device you've got to go through the same crap to get a silencer or a full auto. Get a full auto. It is a good financial investment since they don't make them for public consumtion anymore and it helps relieve stress and built-up anger. You've got to pay the same $200 to the treasury, get the Sheriff's signature on the forms, get your mugshot and fingerprints done at the jail, wait forever (or 8 months like I did), get the FBI background check done, and wait for the forms to reach the dealers shop. A M-16, Mini-14, and a M2 carbine(my favorite gun) have the best availability for parts since they have popular semi-auto counterparts and are made in the U.S. - and you can shoot cheap .22 ammo with a conversion kit (but from the regular barrel) in the Mini-14 and M-16. A silencer has to be washed in a special solvent to clean it, and you've always got to keep it pointed downward when you carry it because otherwise all the stuff that accumulates in the barrel will fall down into the action and gum it up. I don't know the laws in Louisiana, but in Georgia you can't hunt with a silencer either. Since silencers are still manufactured for the public, they won't go up in value like a full-auto will. Regardless of whichever you choose, a helpful tip is: don't write a check for the $200 tax. It could be a year before its deposited and the treasury department is the last place you would want to bounce a check to. Instead, get a U.S. postal money order so that you won't have to keep the money in your account the whole time and it won't screw up your application if the check bounces.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: