Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4.0 Valve cover update/recall?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: 4.0 Valve cover update/recall? Reply with quote

I've got a 93 XJ 4.0L. I've got a black/looks plastic valve cover that looks orginal....about 125000 on it. Was there, at any time, a recall to replace these valve covers? I think the updated one is supposed to be aluminum.

If this is true, do you have to drill/tap new holes in the head to put the new style on? If I have to do that, how smart would it be to just stick with the original style one? It's starting to leak, wanted to catch it before it gets too bad. thanks
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Valve cover Reply with quote

Of all the 4.0 litre I have seen I have only seen one plastic valve cover
that was in a YJ. All Cherokees back to 1987 had Aluminum valve covers
unless someone swaped in an engine from a YJ. You need to put a
pic of this one with your post.
1991 Cherokee Limited
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like i said, it looks plastic, and i know there was some kind of update for them, just didnt know if you're supposed to go from plastic to
aluminum or the other way around.
I'm probably gonna end up changing the gasket soon and didn't want to go through all the work if it has the wrong valve cover on it. The material of the valve cover is kind of beside the point.
Has anyone alse heard of this, or done this before?
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: