Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need options for towing zj 1000 miles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fingarr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: need options for towing zj 1000 miles Reply with quote

I need to tow my 93 grand cherokee 8cyl 5.2l from LA to colorado. I want to know a cheap way to tow it with my ford f250. Do i need to get a new steel bumper with mounting brackets or could I take off the bumper and attatch brackets to the frame. It will only be towed once so i dont want to spend too much. Uhaul wanted $550 to rent a transport trailer which sounds like alot of money for a trailer. Please send me some suggestions, thanks alot.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure they wanted $550? I towed mine 200 miles one way for $89 using one of their car transports. Also, you can buy towbar for roughly $100 but I think you may have to disconnect something to get it to tow right without burning up your clutch or gears. Not too sure.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds right - Uhaul is charging out the ass to rent any kind of equipment leaving CA. Confused
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at getting an axle disconnect for my rear axle to be able to able to run in front drive only. The axle disconnects are marketed to RV owners who need to tow their vehicle long distances without screwing up the driveline due to lack of oiling and it won't add any miles to the odometer. When the engine is off the lube in the tranny won't be pumped and it is effectively run dry then the gears begin to eat themselves. The axle disconnects prevent the transfer case and transmission from turning and therefore it won't get messed up. The only problem is that disconnects run around $800 (and to tow you may need one for both the front and rear shafts). You can also remove the driveshafts to get the same effect- but with a slip yoke you're kind of screwed. For long distance towing, just putting the transfer case in neutral won't cut it. I believe that in the owners manual it explains the procedures for towing the Jeep, but it sounds like it is going to cost you quite a bit regardless of what option you chose. Why are you going to Colorado (I hope it's not to see a Buffs game)? When I bought my current Jeep, I had it transported halfway across the country by a national vehicle transporter for about $700 (and no damage or problems with the Jeep). If you can fly out instead of drive, you could have it transported and then meet the driver with your vehicle in Colorado. If a trailer costs $550 it is almost worth the extra money to skip the hassle and fuel and wear costs. Also, since one way rentals cost the rental company more money to get the trailer back so if you're not going to stay long check and see if a round-trip rental would be any cheaper.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: