Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPS Problems + Clymer vs Haynes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomSwift

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: CPS Problems + Clymer vs Haynes Reply with quote

Hello, I just found this message board and this is my first post.

I have been having problems lately with my 98 XJ cutting out in traffic. I had it checked for error codes at Discount and it came up with a P0320. Apparently I need to replace a speed sensor or CPS. It is supposed to be on the back of the engine near the transmission but I canít see anything that looks like the part that was suggested.

I found a parts catalog for a 98 cherokee but it doesnít actually have any illustrations of the part or its components.

I guess I'm gonna have to spend some money on a manual cause I gave up trying to find any PDFs of the factory service manual. Seems Chrysler is all over the place monitoring these things.

I canít get the factory manual right now, so anyone got any opinions on the alternatives?

Or tips on the error code that came up..
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: cps Reply with quote

The picture in my $15 Haynes manual shows the crankshaft position sensor going through the drivers side of the transmission near the engine at about 10 o'clock position. It reads the teeth off the flywheel so that should give an idea of how close to the engine it is. From the picture the cable runs down near the exhaust.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
offroading.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the CPS, a PITA to get at, easiest way is to drop the front prop and put the box into 1-2 so the selector arm is out of the way, still hard to get at, you need about 18" of socket extentions to get it (2*10mm bolts)
I have done 3 now Rolling Eyes

steve@offroading.net
TomSwift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is alot of extension. This is looking like it might be a challange.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that bad...two bolts and a plug. I used a 12" and 6" extension along with a swivel. It should take about 30-45 minutes and some minor cursing. Add another 10 if you have to jack it up. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gryphon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it really is a pain to replace. A word of warning though if you take the suggestion to put the selector into 1-2. Either dissconnect the battery or unplug the sensor before trying to remove it. I did neither. Since the ignition switch needs to be 'on' in order to move the gear selector, the the sensor will have power going to it. When I started getting the sensor loose, I could hear the fuel pump pressurizing everytime I moved the sensor. Nothing bad happened and nothing probably would, but there's no reason to not at least unplug the sensor before trying to remove it.

I was able to get it out with just an 18" extension, but two extensions with a u-joint would be easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: