Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

242 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S_Munk13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: 242 question Reply with quote

doin the tc swap can i get my 242 out of a wj?? the only thing tht would need swapped would be the output shafts??
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is from the 6 cylinder, you'll definitely need to swap the shafts. I'm not sure about the 4.7 V-8, I don't know if it is the same length as the 5.2 and the 5.9 V-8's. If it is the same length then the case will probably be a direct swap.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
S_Munk13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know a good place to find one off of a 5.2 or 5.9
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question about a WJ into a ZJ- here's the thread:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5571&highlight=242+swap
Here's another helpful thread:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9326&highlight=242+swap
As for finding a 242 from a V8, I found one on ebay for around $200 including shipping. If you want to keep the Lo-lock, get a 242 from a '97 or '98 Grand Cherokee. The lo-lock was added during the '96 model year so you need to check for that. If the lo-lock doesn't matter to you then any '93 to '96 242 from a Grand will do. If you don't mind swapping shafts then any XJ Cherokee or Grand Cherokee will work. The Dodge versions may work as well. Check local salvage yards, ebay, or a nationwide auto recycler like Greenleaf. You should be able to find one at one of those outlets but if you get a remanufactured or rebuilt one be prepared to pay more.

Here's a rebuilt case on ebay for $400- since you ship them your old core the price isn't the usual $700-$1000 for a rebuilt case.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Rebuilt-242-J-Transfer-Case-Grand-Cherokee-XJ-D-ZJ_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46104QQihZ009QQitemZ190015462382QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
S_Munk13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks its not that i mind swapping shafts, i just dont know if thats above my ability. How much disassembly of the transfercase does that require. I looked at swampy thread it sounded easy but i couldnt tell much from the pictures. how difficult would that be.
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an overhaul/rebuild kit for the transfer case and had a family friend do it. It's nothing like any type of transmission work it's not nearly as complicated or as difficult as that. I had simply never done it before and I didn't want to screw it up. I wasn't there for the whole rebuild but from what I saw it isn't that difficult. Just make sure that you have some type of manual or instructions that will give you the proper torque specs and spacing. My case was from a '97 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 V8- so I didn't have to swap over the shafts. The case only had about 60,000 miles on it (or so the seller told me) and there wasn't anything wrong with it. So the rebuild might have been overkill but the rebuild kit didn't cost much and it's easier to rebuild it when you have it out as opposed to later when you have to take it out later. Before you put it in, if you have the cash to do it, you may want to look at the 4:1 gearsets and the slip yoke eliminator kits. In the last thread about 242 swaps Swampy sent the guy a private message. He's a great source of information with a lot of experience. He's also kind enough to be willing to share that information and experience so send him a PM and most likely he'll respond back. He's also swapped out the shafts in his swap and I never have so he'll have to help you go any further.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: