Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-case swap?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: T-case swap? Reply with quote

Ok here is the deal; you've all heard the shunting and jumping of a jeep in tight turns. I have a 94 Zj 5.2L np249, no driveline mods but a rusty's steering stabilizer. Well, after reading a lot of posts on this problem(thanks swampy and the rest) I checked front and rear driveshaft. They had no play and everything looked good to go. On visual inspection the cv joints look fine. Of course not knowing much about them I could only stare at them and hope that any problems will be visible on the surface of the cv boot. The diff. looked ok too. My next step that I won't get to today is to lube up all the steering equipment.

With that aside I have turned my attention to the infamous NP249 with a possible bad VC. I am thinking about swapping it for a 242 or 231. I like the thought of a two wheel drive option. I read this post http://www.duff.ws/grand_central/tc_swap/transfer_case_swap.htm and was interested in it except for two things I have no idea what t-case they were swapping in and you have to turn off the car to shift in and out of 4 low. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about that. I am thinking about a 231 or a 242. Which would be better. I know in a perfect world it would all be plug and play but what other modifications would I need to make?

thanks folks, sorry for the long post.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the tech section.. I have a writeup on the 242 swap.. And if you want to do a 231 I can help with that also as I have one of those now.. Mr. Green

Here you go..
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which case do you think is better, the 242 or the 231. I don't do hardcore trial riding yet and am still in college so money is a little tight now and then. I have only started learning about 4x4s since I have had this Jeep (about 7 months) and have read just about everything I can put my hands on to learn how to work on my own car. Is this swap something I might be able to undertake as a weekend project or would I be better to just buy another 249 and slap it in?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that writeup it took me 6 hours to do the t case ..Thats complete removing and reinstalling.. With one helper...

It can easily be done by anyone with a hand full of tools and a good pair of LOCK RING PLIERS ..(Very important..)

I liked the 242 because it still had the fulltime 4WD option ..And its pretty strong ..But I wheel to hard for it.. If you are doing light to moderate wheeling go with the 242..It will be fine.. And its much better than the stock case...

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
brada7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading swampys write-up, it took me about an hour and a half with a helper (to do the lifting). I went from a 249 to a 231. I didnt have to change the input or anything it was a direct replacement. The only thing I noticed was that my driveshaft seemed to be about 3/8" too short. Well not realy too short, I could see the shinny part of the yoke where the seal goes and it didnt go into the 231 as far. In other words there was 3/8" of shinny that could be seen on the yoke after instal, but it has not caused any problems. All I need now is the label for the console shifter!
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year T-case did you put in Brada7?
fireguy08

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: t case swap Reply with quote

viper,i used a 242 for my95,5.2l zj and its only been in acouple of days now but what a difference.Good luck.
brada7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what year it was. Got it at a salvage yard. I probably knew what year it was a few months ago when I put it in, Ive slept since then. Maybe a 95'.
Venomized

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a good going rate for a used T-case?

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around $200 ..IN that area... I got mine for $100 but there is a good bone yard here.. Mr. Green

DannyG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: 1993 GC T-C? Reply with quote

Does any one know what was the stock T-case on 1992/1993 5.2 GC?
What will be good upgrade since I have OX locker on the front and limited slip (stock) on the back?
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the np249. If you have 4hi--N--4lo on your 4 wheel drive selector it will be a np249. The np231 is strong and is a direct bolt in, the np242 is also an alternative although not as strong as the the 231. If you want to spend lots of cash and be unstopable you could always get an Atlas Very Happy
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's off topic but, I think that it would be helpful if we as a group could come up with a list of specs for late model (cherokee/wrangler era) transfer cases that we could swap in- including dodge models but not the electronic-only newer ones so we could answer questions like will a dodge 242 or a WJ 242 swap into a GC... But I don't know how to go about doing it. Any ideas? Maybe accepting submissions from those who've done the swaps?
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper you goin with the 231? If you need help let me know being as im local and all Mr. Green
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Hopefully my buddy is going to buy his moms xj since his is in such sorry shape and will never pass inspection. Then I'm gonna ransack his car and take his tcase Twisted Evil

By the way, after looking at different set-ups and talking around, don't all the 231 tcases have a mechanical speedo? Do the 231 and 249 have the same gear driven speedo setup? Or is just a case that they both have speedo gears and its a simple job of switching the mechanical sensor with the 249 electric sensor?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: