Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer case swap

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulknight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Transfer case swap Reply with quote

I am planning on swapping my NV231 transfer case for an NV242. As more of a daily driver with occassional trail use the extra full-time 4 wheel drive gear will suit me better. (Please save the '231s are better' comments for someone else) Does anyone know if I can rob one from a 2004 liberty to mount it in my 2004 unlimited. Two things I am concerned with are the electronic speedo gear and I was told the some 242s differ with either drivers or passengers side front output. I know the Liberties are IFS so I am not sure how their t-cases are used.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Unlimiteds didn't come with the 242?
tonloco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kizer that is correct he wants to put one in his LJ that he robs from a KJ although i dont understand why?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither. If it's that bad that you need 4wd, then put it in 4wd. Wranglers get bad enough mileage as is, there is no need to make it worse by using fulltime 4wd.
soulknight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am swapping in the 242 because it has all of the same gears and ratios of the 231; 2wd, part time 4wd high and low with the additional option of full-time four wheel drive. The part time four wheel drive binds the front axle when used on the pavement which can result is blowing the front differential or, in the case of my other jeep, destroying the transfer case itself. The full time option uses a sort of limited slip differential to split the torque at 48/52 front and rear where as the part time evenly splits the torque at 50/50. When in 2wd my gas milage will not suffer any more than it already does. The only downfall of the 242 vs the 231 is the 242 is rated at just under 1500 ft lbs of torque whereas the 231 is rated at just over 1800 ft lbs of torque. Even the HEMI won't generate that much torque. I hope this helps you with my reasoning and gain better understanding of the 2 different transfer cases.
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with these guys; but first get the contact info for this guy George but since he doesn't have a site use his info from swampy's post here:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1424&highlight=249+242

Then check these sites- they may be able to help you out:
http://www.transfercases.com/
http://www.partsmikeparts.com/
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulknight wrote:
I am swapping in the 242 because it has all of the same gears and ratios of the 231; 2wd, part time 4wd high and low with the additional option of full-time four wheel drive. The part time four wheel drive binds the front axle when used on the pavement which can result is blowing the front differential or, in the case of my other jeep, destroying the transfer case itself. The full time option uses a sort of limited slip differential to split the torque at 48/52 front and rear where as the part time evenly splits the torque at 50/50. When in 2wd my gas milage will not suffer any more than it already does. The only downfall of the 242 vs the 231 is the 242 is rated at just under 1500 ft lbs of torque whereas the 231 is rated at just over 1800 ft lbs of torque. Even the HEMI won't generate that much torque. I hope this helps you with my reasoning and gain better understanding of the 2 different transfer cases.

Unless you also install CV joints in your axle shafts, you'll still get binding out of the front end on pavement in 4wd. CV handles steeper angles better. That's why they're used on the full-time 4WD vehicles. Like I said, if conditions are bad enough where 4wd is warranted, you won't have problems with binding.

I think you'll be surprised how much mileage will suffer when you drive with torque applied to the front axle.
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 98 xj with the 242 and my jeep runs standard u-joints. in full-time 4 wheel drive there is only slight binding in the front end if you dont reverse out of 4wd to engage 2wd. other than that full-time 4wd in the 242 works like a dream, dry, wet/icy, sloppy dirt wet roads. but for the real slippery stuff 4 low all day long.
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly the only true downside to the 242 is that there is no 32 spile heavy duty sye for it. the 242 actually has a bigger chain than the venerable 231, so it all just comes down to what you need the jeep to do. if you ever have to drive in black ice with no worry as to drive train problems, you cannot beat the versatility of the full time/part time 242. i think alot of people confuse the standard 242 in the xj with the 249 in the zj, wj that has no 2wd option.
tonloco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think alot of people confuse the standard 242 in the xj with the 249 in the zj, wj that has no 2wd option.

that was what i did when he said full time 4wd thumbs
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the specs for it, but some military hummers came with a 242HD. I don't believe that they had all of the full/part time options though.

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
soulknight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptown_bogger wrote:
honestly the only true downside to the 242 is that there is no 32 spile heavy duty sye for it. the 242 actually has a bigger chain than the venerable 231, so it all just comes down to what you need the jeep to do. if you ever have to drive in black ice with no worry as to drive train problems, you cannot beat the versatility of the full time/part time 242. i think alot of people confuse the standard 242 in the xj with the 249 in the zj, wj that has no 2wd option.

I am glad to find someone who knows the facts about the 242. My friend's Cherokee had one and it was great to drive year round. He took his XJ offroad as often as I take my wrangler and never had any problems with it and his gas milage was the same as mine. I do agree that it is a bummer there isn't more aftermarket on this unit. Actually, I haven't found anything in the way of upgrading it. If anyone knows of any aftermarket support for the 242 I would greatly appreciate it. Even without I still plan on getting a 242. I am still left with my question regarding the electronic speedo reader and bolting the 242 from a Liberty into my Unlimited's tranny and axle.
soulknight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixt wrote:
I don't know the specs for it, but some military hummers came with a 242HD. I don't believe that they had all of the full/part time options though.

The military 242HDs used in the hummers are great except for the fact that those do lack the 2WD feature but do retain the full/part-time modes included with the ones Jeep uses. The number of splines and shaft length are different but I know a company that would have customized this had I been willing to get one. I decided 2WD was very important to me and opted not to get the Hummer version.
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket support for the 242? You can get a slip yoke eliminator from Tom Wood's: www.4xshaft.com You can also get 4:1 low range gears from 4 to 1: www.4x4now.com/4to1.htm You can even use many of Tera Manufacturing/Teraflex/Teralow products for the 231 on the 242: www.teraflx.com/pages/search_results.php?str=231&page=2
I don't know if their 2-low or extreme short shaft kits will work, but it says specifically to call them about using the 4:1 gearsets in the 242 case.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
campingmikey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can bolt up the 6speed in an 05 TJ to a 242? That's the only thing I have yet to find out. If the answer is no, then I can get back to finding other ways to drain my bank account. Thanks for any info.
-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: