Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple wiring project

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Simple wiring project Reply with quote

* I take no credit for any of the pictures or information. all of the pictures and infomation is from write up section from*

I installed a pair of fog lights on my rear bumper with the intention of running the wires later.

When I asked for help installing them from friends, they all wanted to run the pos cable strait from the battery or piggy back off another fuse behind my glove compartment. It seemed to messy and didnít seem like the correct way of doing it. After some reading online I found this site

Its a great site with tons of simple to read write ups, even for people like me with very limited mechanical skills.

All the diagrams and pictures I got where from his site and after reading half a dozen write ups, I decided on combining a few together and this is what I got. Since I plan on adding several more lights and other electrical equipment I want to make sure that I set up a good base for future projects.

First I would want to install an auxiliary fuse box running from a main power feed like the one he has in this write up;

Then I would run some cables over to a relay mounted in a similar manner as he shows in this write up;

I would use relay sockets for all the relays as shown here;

I would run the cables to the fog lights, and the second cables from the relay to a 12V switch on my dashboard. The cable that returns from my switch to the main power feed would include a inline fuse.

I have a question about this. Would I run the pos cable from my dash board switch back to the main power feed, or does this go back to the auxiliary fuse box?

Here is a simple diagram I made based on the ones I read on his write ups.

My second question is, is it more effective to run a ground cable to a central terminal strip like he did in the first write up, or can each ground be run separately to the closest ground point?

Last here is the way I understood would be how I would wire my relays according to his explanations.

I canít wait to start out this project, it seems to be very easy to do, and with minimal cost, but it's not something I would want to try out with out checking up that I have all the bases covered. I would hate to pay to rewire my jeep because I forgot something critical.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and this way you'll have a VERY easy job of troubleshooting if you ever need to, very clean, very professional looking.

I too am guilty of taking the short/easy way out on some of my wiring jobs, even though I KNOW how it 'should' be done...sometimes I just get lazy. For my rig, I need to build a localized relay bar and a 12V distrobution block (as shown in the pics) as it stands now, I have all my power coming from the main line off the battery and have various relays zip tied off here and there (all hidden of course, but I still know it could be much neater).

The way your doing it, is the only way to go.

For grounds, run them all separately and as close as possible to it's corresponding source, run it/them to a solid bare metal chasis point. Now if you have several grounds in the SAME location (like for stereos) then yah a ground distro. block would be the easiest way to go.

Only other rule of thumb I can immediately think of, is when in doubt on the wire size and it's amp carry capacity...go larger Cool.
2002 TJ Wrangler X
Patriot Blue 4.0L
Check Website for Mods/Photos

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: