Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 35 posi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucks Owin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Dana 35 posi Reply with quote

What's the best and cheapest way to add "two wheel drive" to the Dana 35? My Cherokee is mainly street driven with 4WD used in winter snows and occasional forays off road. I don't want anything "clunky" like a Detroit Locker....

Were there many factory "limited slip" type setups built so as to be fairly common in the wrecking yards?

BTW, I once "posi'ed" a 9" Ford by adding a few shims. Can that be done easily to the Dana?

Dennis

PS No spools or welded spiders either! Razz
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you weld them, the spiders have to come out and either a locker or LSD go in. The cheapest would be a lunchbox style locker, but those click and clunk when you corner. After that, you are looking at doing either a full locker (selectable or not) or an LSD...both of which will require a full gear setup.

There were quite a few LSD's put in XJ's (in both the D30 and 8.25), so junkyard diving would be a good way to find an axle that has one.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
docchaynes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would a guy know if his 96XJ already had an LSD front Dana 30?

Certainly the Dana35C rear seems to run open . . .
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Docchaynes- the Cherokee certainly didn't come from the factory with a LSD in the front. To see if you've got a limited slip you would want to put the front end on jackstands and rotate one of the wheels by hand and see if the other wheel rotates as well. Otherwise you would have to either crack the diff case open and see whats in it or try to find a situation where only one of your front wheels would have traction (and both of your back wheels don't) and see if your Jeep can pull itself through it.

Bucks- what year is your Cherokee? If you have a '96 or newer and you have the factory LSD installed your transfer case (I'm sure of the 242 and 249 but you'll need to check for the 231) will have a lo-lock feature that will effectively lock your diff and the coupling in the transfer case when you put it in low range.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Bucks Owin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixt, mine is a '92......

"Bucks Owin"
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 98 classic with the 8.25 and lsd. does that mean my nv242 locks in low-range? Very Happy that might explain why my jeep can out climb my buddies 96 with a nv231................but the fact that he's open might factor in there somewhere Smile
c130herc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-cases were designated either NP or NV. They are essentially the same t-case, just a different "brand name". NP was used for the purposes of this list:

NP ="New Process" NV = "New Venture"

NP207 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.61:1 ratio low range - used 84-87

NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used 87-01

NP228/NP229 - "Selec-Trac" - 4Hi(full-time) - N - 4Lo (part-time) - used 84-87

NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: