Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97' JGC 4.0 low idle and stalling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiphazard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: 97' JGC 4.0 low idle and stalling Reply with quote

1997 Jeep GC 4.0 liter. Idles at 300-600 rpm's (roller coasters up and down). Intermittently stalls at stop lights and turns. My wife will not drive it until it is fixed.
Have replaced plugs, rotor, cap, wires, TPS, IAC and am now going to replace the CPS (crank positioning sensor). Looking at the motor, where is the CPS? Any advice for swapping the CPS out?
If this does not work, my next thought is to get a new ECU.
For all of the above, it is still cheaper doing myself than taking to the dealer/mechanic.
rshvllerocket20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine did that and the air intake temp sensor was bad and another time it did it it was the egr valve and transducer however the egr threw a code the temp sensor did not. I have a 95 grand with the 5.2 hope this helps
chiphazard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: 1997 JGC 4.0 stalling - Idle relay and solenoid Reply with quote

I have been trying to narrow my surging rpm and stalling problem down. Talking to the local auto parts store, I was told that maybe the idle relay was bad. They showed one on the computer, and I bought 1, as it was only $8 and made sense that the relay could be bad. The book says that the relay is on a bracket the left front inner fender panel. Is this the drivers side left, or left as you look into the engine? I cannot find it. They also say that 2 red wires designate that that is where the relay is.

I should also mention, that the rpm's are good when the engine is cold, and only surge after the jeep is warmed up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: