Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLEASE HELP! I cant figure out what is wrong with my Zj?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: PLEASE HELP! I cant figure out what is wrong with my Zj?! Reply with quote

Hi all this is my first post but i really need help! I have been hearing a high pitched humming almost a whinning that has been getting worse. it sounds kind of like like a whining and is especially noticeable over 45 just after i let go of the gas. ALSO when i turn at higher speeds it makes a terrible grinding noise that sounds like im driving on the shoulder over those bumps to wake u up if u fall asleep. I paid a man 50 dollas to check it out he said it was the front driverside wheel bearing and it would cost 350 for the part 100 for labor. i changed it myslef for 100 and it is still doing it! i just got a 3.5 lift, that i ordered after i ordered my wheel bearing thinking it would be all fixed by the time it comes in. not the case! my lift is waiting in my garage to be thrown on because i want to fix this first. i also have 31 x 10.5 bfg all T's that will be going on w/ new rims but i dont want to move forward until this problem is fixed in fear of it getting worse and/ or breaking something. any ideas and/or help is GREATLY appreciated!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

i am new to this forum.. does it usually take a while for people to respond or is it just that no one knows what is wrong with my jeep? i am freaking out trying to find out what the heck is wrong! i so badly want to put my new rubicon express lift on but i dont want to until i get this problem fixed. if any one at all even has a guess i would love to hear it! any kind of test or what ever would be deeply appreciated! like i said above when i turn left it is a terrible noise almost like tires rubbing i can feel it in the gas pedal and above 45 i can hear a whinning that i think is related and/or the culprit. please help guys! i need you- i cant a trust a single mechanic in my area! they will all give me false diagnostics and cost me mad money!!
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
i am new to this forum.. does it usually take a while for people to respond or is it just that no one knows what is wrong with my jeep? i am freaking out trying to find out what the heck is wrong! i so badly want to put my new rubicon express lift on but i dont want to until i get this problem fixed. if any one at all even has a guess i would love to hear it! any kind of test or what ever would be deeply appreciated! like i said above when i turn left it is a terrible noise almost like tires rubbing i can feel it in the gas pedal and above 45 i can hear a whinning that i think is related and/or the culprit. please help guys! i need you- i cant a trust a single mechanic in my area! they will all give me false diagnostics and cost me mad money!!

Weekends are normally slow here and on most forums so give it some time.

Also, it's extremely hard to tell you where to look since I'm on the other side of the country and can't listen to your noise or where it's even coming from. The best I could do is start rattling off parts to check which isn't much help to you. The best guidance I can give is to check anything that spins while driving since it's clear that the noise is speed-dependent.

Have you checked the passenger side hub? Axle shaft u-joints? Driveshaft u-joints? Rear wheel bearings? Differential internals (perhaps a carrier or pinion bearing).
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a lot of people out enjoying the last few weekends before winter hits. Wink

Where's the noise coming from - front or back? Does it vary with speed or is it constant? Is it all the time when you're moving or only under throttle/coasting/deceleration/etc? Did the whinning and grinding start at the same time? Any work done on either differential recently? And just for kicks, you're sure the tires aren't causing the humming, right?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get under that thing and wiggle the drive shaft.. If you have alot of motion in the output on the diff you could have a bad bearing.. also push and pull on the drive shaft and see if you have any motion there..once again. Bad bearings..

Noise on accell means pinion nut is to tight , Noise when you decellerate means preload is to loose.. (tightening up the pinion nut could stop it but then as before ... Probobly a bad bearing..

Get yourself a diff rebuild kit (full kit with bearings and crush sleeve ) you can change the bearings yourself ..

But before I tell you how to do that , Check to see if they are bad and get back with me.. I will be online again tommorow..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks a TON guys!! the wifey is beggn me to go so ill make it short and sweet.. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT! i really appreciate it emensly! i just want to put my lift on sooo bad! i will try everything and get back to you tomarrow.

NOISE seems to be coming from front driverside.. i channged the wheel bearing and it still happens. imgonna try putting my old wheel bearing on the pass side and see if it is the culprit
Speed gets worse with speed but is there is a low whining all the time and ONLY WHEN I TURN LEFT on a curve or what ever and is especially noticeable over 45 i hear a grinding like tires rubbing or going over the shoulder bumps on the free way
THANKS AGAIN SOOO MUCH!!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright problem fixed!
I couldnt wait so i through on my lift and the noise got way worse and i decied to put the old wheel bearing (the on i replaced off the driver side) on the passengerside and it really helped. it still sounds like i may need to change it as well to have em both new. thanks for all the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: