Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Another problem Reply with quote

Yeah another problem has come up. Just for the info I own a '97 XJ Sport. Today I went out and tried to start it and nothing happened when I turned the key. This has happened before and sometimes I can jiggle the shifter and press the button on it, then it will start. Today that didnt work, so I put it in neutral (xj is auto trans), and it started. It has to be something electrical or some kind of swith, but not sure what it is. Any ideas???
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question.....do you reverse lights work only part of the time?

If so, I would think you're looking at the Neutral Safety Switch. I have the exact same problem and it's more of an inconvenience for me than an actual problem.

It all started the same for me. Reverse lights came on sparatically, followed by the car not starting when cool (not cold, but not yet at operating temp.). At the start I could wait a few minutes and it would start. Now, I have to try to start it in P. If it doensn't start, I kill the ignition, remove the key, wait two minutes, turn the ignition to run, more the shifter to N then start the car. (repeat at slightly larger time intervals until car starts)

If this sounds familiar to you It's probably your NSS. There's a write-up in one of the stickies of this forum on how to remove/clean the NSS. Otherwise your lookin at about $300 to replace the thing from a dealer. I'm hoping to clean mine this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Good luck.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that is exactly what happened with mine. my reverse lights only work on occasion. i used to be able to jiggle and push the button on the shifter and sometimes the lights would come on. Sound like we have the same inconvienece, like you said...not that big of a deal. I read the forum on the NSS and I will probably go ahead and clean it as well this weekend. Thanks for the input!!!
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: nss Reply with quote

If you happen to break it (like I did Embarassed ) You can get them new and used on e-bay. New runs $120 or so. Just search "neutral switch cherokee".

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for the tip
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Another Problem Reply with quote

Nss Source
http://www.4wd.com/subcategories.aspx?cid=9&sid=107&pg=3
1991 Cherokee Limited
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: