Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installing sidebars help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joyride518

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: installing sidebars help Reply with quote

I have a 95 yj. Love it! I recently purchased chrome side bars, steel horse. The brackets that came with the bars are to be mounted on the jeep cab brackets. The front one is fine, as there are two holes in the jeep bracket, front one open, back one has body mount bushing. The rear bracket is shorter and houses the body mount bushing. Instructions are lame, the tech support from where I purchased is lame. Everything is telling me to mount the bracket inbetween the body mount bushing and the jeep bracket. The body mount bushing is rubber, stock I presume. You can't mount the bracket on the bushing as it gives in a downward torque with your weight. The bottom part of the bushing is meant to absorb up lift and roll of the cab not down pressure of a step. I am so frustrated I could spit! Am I missing something? They finally said they would have ups pick product up. I love the look of it though, 3" s/s chrome, no step in chrome, just shiney chrome. The thought of fabricating brackets to mount the brackets on,,,,, ugh. If that is the case, I need some pointers. Thanks
diablito

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: install Reply with quote

Have you checked to make sure your using the correct part for that side? before you do anything else, try every configuration you can. I've install plenty of those, the directions always suck, take your time, just sit and study it well. You'll figure it out!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're willing to take them back and you can find a different brand to your liking, I wouldn't think twice about returning them. Steel Horse isn't known for their quality. Wink
joyride518

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. All four brackets that came with the side steps are the same. We even drilled the hole, in the steel horse bracket, bigger to accept the metal bushing the in body mount bushing. If i mount it on the top of the jeep bracket it will raise the top body mount bushing with weight on the step. I have looked everywhere on line for photos. I even thought about replacing the rubber body mount bushings with poly bushings. But I still would have downward torque on the bushing. Steel horse sold out to smitty and i am getting no response from either. Have you installed a bracket that would seperate the body mount bushing. Sequence of parts: Body Mount bolt, BM bushing, jeep frame bracket, BM bushing, cab. The kicker, once we tried the given spot, the sidebar was 1 1/2" farther away from the jeep body in the front than in the back. Where could I purchase different brackets? Would I need them special made or are there universal brackets? The end of the steps accept a bolt. nothing fancy there. And they are staggered for the jeep yj frame.
Thanks again!
momulesdad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remove the bolts from the two spots put the bracket on and reinsert the bolt and tighten it down it is that simple you don't put it between bushings or anything else you just remove bolts line up the rear hole on the bracket with the where you just removed the bolt and put the bolt back in. I am doing my new jeeps in a few days I will take pics and make a step by step how-to for everyone.
momulesdad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so much for me doing it to mine I can't get the bolts out. I have tried everything I can think of to get them out I went through a whole can of PB Blaster penetrating catalyst with using an air ratchet and still only managed to get one out. Anyone have any ideas what else I can try?
momulesdad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finished mine and having used it all the time I can tell you. the brackets ARE meant to be installed under the body mounts it does nothing adverse to them whatsoever. It is a simple install if you can get the bolts out. remove bolts put bracket on and tighten bolts. It can't get any easier than that. you are overthinking it if you think it is harder than that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: