Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max lift w/ just Trans Case spacers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fathead_03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Max lift w/ just Trans Case spacers Reply with quote

i was curious as to how much lift you can do while doing no or a 1" transfer case spacer without having to get different driveshafts. I can get shims for the rear, but curious about how high i can go. also, does using ZJ springs under an XJ limit articulation because of the higher spring rate?
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what year you have. Earlier models (8x-94) tend to take higher lifts with a T-Case drop and without the need for a new drive shaft...I'm talking 4-5". Newer models (99-01) may need one even after 2". It all depends on the individual Jeep too. There is no steadfast rule. It would be safe to say 2-3" would be ok, but again it depends the Jeep.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What D said. First question would be what year are you talking about? How much suspension sag does it have? Forgetting about any limiting factors (like vibes), how much lift do you want to put under it? Finally, how deep are your pockets/what is your budget for the project?

On my '97, I ran almost 4" of lift with a tcase drop. There are other folks who had vibes driving off the lot with a factory 1" lift....every XJ reacts a little differently.

As for the ZJ springs, they will not limit articulation. But you will only get 1"-2" max of lift out of them....and that's only if you get the springs out of a V8 ZJ.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fathead_03

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, its an 88. I would like to go with 5.5 in the end, but get about 3-4" right now. I was thinking ZJ springs and 2" spacers, then shackles and blocks to get about the same in the rear. I will need to go a lil more front and back shortly because i will be adding some burly bumpers soon. I dont believe it sags at all, take a look at the pic. Sorry im posing, the gf wanted a pic of me and the ride.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend blocks in the rear. If you want 3-4" in the back. Get yourself a set of new HD leafs (~ $65 per). Then take apart your old packs and do something like this: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm.

Although it is a homebrew AAL (and I am on record as not being fond of AAL's either), this method is not adding any arch, so it is not as prone to sagging. It will provide some additional lift though. I did the same thing on my previous lift, except I used the main and secondary leafs from the old packs in the new ones. With a set of 1.75" shackles, I netted between 3.5" - 4" in the rear...all for about $150 and a days work. The only reason it's not still under my Jeep now is beacuse I went higher.

Here's a couple of pics of that old setup under my Jeep:

After slipping off a rock at Paragon rofl

I think this was Dry River out by the VA/WV border...

If you did something like that and put V8 ZJ coils with 2" spacers in the front, it should be a pretty good combo...it's inexpensive, will have a nice onroad ride and it will wheel like a demon.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
935speedxj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys just a thought i used a set of s10 springs in the rear with my main leaf an used zj v8 coils up front along side the 2 inch spacers i made .... it got mad flex an sat about 3.5 upfront an 3.0 in the rear now i got a set of rusties 3inch springs an lca's up front ... hope any of this helps ... Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: