Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT TIRE CARRIER/REAR BUMPER COMBO ARE YOU USING! PROBLEMS?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donzrubi

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: WHAT TIRE CARRIER/REAR BUMPER COMBO ARE YOU USING! PROBLEMS? Reply with quote

I'M GETTING READY TO MAKE A PURCHASE! JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE I DON'T BUY GARBAGE!
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this one and another member of my club has one and we both like it a lot, especially for the price! http://www.lodoffroad.com/xtreme-duty-tire-carrier.htm

the only thing is you don't have the options of having jerry cans or a little cargo thing. However going to their web site I noticed they have a new product out (if only I could talk my husband into buying it for me). http://www.lodoffroad.com/Xpedition-tire-carrier-rear-bumper.htm

For the money this is still a good buy. If you were to get the jeeperman and all the add on you are talking $1,300+.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Steve's Jeep Fab swingaway on mine. I opted for the dual gerry can holders on mine with adapter assembly. Decent quality, reasonable price, and has worked great for me. Probably a more middle of the road unit in comparison to Jeeperman, Bulletproof, Hanson, and a couple others. But the truth is for me I wanted both reasonably priced and good/decent quality. I got both (I believe).

HERE is a write I did on mine. If you decide to go with this, plan on a 4 week lead time (+/-). It was worth it for me to wait. LoD didn't have what they have now, and this unit allows me to grow as I wish. BTW, if you talk to Steve I know for a fact they'll modify to whatever you want. In other words, if there is something like you want it to double as an air tank, he'll do it. Let them know what you want. Here's mine;

Hope that helps some.
Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeeperman tire carriers are $699 shipped from a couple vendors. IMO, the best built one out there.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went with the Jeeperman Rock Bumper and Carrier along with thier frame tie-in kit which I feel is an absolute must.

After 2 years I still feel that I got my moneys worth. A few New England salted road winters have taken there toll a bit. Some of the powder coating is flaking off.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
donzrubi

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responses! thanks
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
I also went with the Jeeperman Rock Bumper and Carrier along with thier frame tie-in kit which I feel is an absolute must.

After 2 years I still feel that I got my moneys worth. A few New England salted road winters have taken there toll a bit. Some of the powder coating is flaking off.

so did i, got the tie-in kit too, and agree with the rest as well.
chris (knows that eddie's customer service is the best!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little late on this, but the frame tie in kit is included along with shipping on the site www.jeeperman.com if that direction is what you end up going with.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, havent been around in awhile, I agree, my jeeperman bumper and tire carrier are the cat's meaw.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
jblade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen2Goofy wrote:
I've got this one and another member of my club has one and we both like it a lot, especially for the price! http://www.lodoffroad.com/xtreme-duty-tire-carrier.htm

Lots of good info about a lot of the different rear bumpers here.

I'm leaning towards the LoD mostly because of price and what I have read. Just want to clear a few things up before I buy.

1. I have a 1" BL on my TJ, will that be a problem with this unit?

2. Has anyone experienced an excessive amount of rattling from the LoD? Does it lock in securely to the bumper?

3. I do not tow on a regular basis but may have to from time to time. Do you think this will support light towing without problems?

4. Are tie ins (like what jeeperman suggests) recommended on this, or even other bumpers?

5. Even though it's only 1/8" thick, it can still take a short drop on a boulder without bending, right? My stock bumper is a mess right now
Mr. Green

Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recommend the LoD b/c it is 1/8". That's just strong enough long term to handle the abuse of a large spare on the back and banging it off the rocks.
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted the bumper to be strong as hell and the carrier to be light and strong and just couldn't find anything on the market, so I just built my own. The bumper is all 3/8 and the carrier is 1 3/4 DOM. And I couldn't beat the price compared to anything on the market. But if you're looking at buying something, I'd definately look in to Jeeperman. I lived in Colorado for 3 years and alot of the people up there run them. There's probably 5 or 6 in our club up there that use them and I've seen them take some real beatings. This is just my .02. Here's a pic of mine.

jblade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. I'm going with the Jeeperman set up. It's only $699 shipping included these days.
V7Sport73

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Jeep Bumper Reply with quote

Just installed the rockhard. I'm really happy with it. Bought mine new on ebay. Seems to be an improved version of the Jeeperman. Check it out at www.rockhard4x4parts.com/rearbumper.html
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep Bumper Reply with quote

V7Sport73 wrote:
Just installed the rockhard. I'm really happy with it. Bought mine new on ebay. Seems to be an improved version of the Jeeperman. Check it out at www.rockhard4x4parts.com/rearbumper.html

Actually, the current Rockhard unit is the same as the old Jeeperman design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: