Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsebesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Brake Question Reply with quote

When I was applying the brakes, it felt as if the right front of my 97 Wrangler would dip and it was pulling to the right. I thought it might be a stuck caliper, and because I had just purchased the Jeep used I figured I may as well replace calipers, rotors, and pads. I did all that and I still have the same problem. It seems like the front right is grabbing particularly hard. When I release the brake to move to the accelerator I can feel (and see) the right front end of the jeep "pop" up. Is this normal? Am I missing something? Should I check something else? Thanks
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom had the same problem with her Chevy Suburban. For her it turned out to be the caliper, but the dealer told her that it could have also been dirt/crap in the brake lines. I don't know if I believe that, but if you're tool savy it's worth a try.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
330T

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blead the breaks untill you get clean break fluid.

If that does not work, might want to look at the shocks see if they have bad seals.
bsebesta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: brake Reply with quote

I have also noticed that I have a pretty bad shudder that occurs from the right front when braking. Doesn't always happen, but does when not babying the brakes. I checked my build sheet and I don't think I have abs. Shocks still? I just purchased the jeep, but they have monroe sensatracs on them so they've been replaced at some point.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shudder sounds more suspension related. If it were the brakes (such as the rotor) you would feel it all the time.

I had a death wobble that turned out to be a tie rod end, but it could be any number of things.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
bsebesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

I talked with Stu from Stu's offroad Jeep website.
He suggested that I check the steering knuckle where the brake pads rest against the caliper mounting brackets. There are some small shallow chips out of the metal where those brake pads rest. Anyone have any experience with this? Ever heard of this causing a problem?
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i've heard of it. i experienced it on my jeep and ended up replacing the mounting system with a kit from vancopbs. if the divots are indeed your problem, then i'd evaluate your jeep's purpose. if in stock form and planning on keeping it that way, it would be more cost effective to just replace the knuckles with a set that are either new or without divots. if you have a "built" jeep or plan on building it with 33" tires or larger then i would look into vancopbs' kit.
just my thoughts.
chris

this pic is from another thread that describes the problem...you can see the divots clearly.

TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your shock is dead, check for oil or any type of leakage on the body of the shock. If you see fluid, your seals are bad as mentioned before. A dead shock could make the front end dive when braking, simply because the dampining of the shock is gone. It can also give you the "death wobble" because your tire is bouncing like a ball over the slightest illregularity on the the road, and can also lead to serious tire wear.
Shocks last about 50 to 60K miles, since you just baught it, who knows how many miles they have.

Hope this helps ya...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
bsebesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: brake Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas everyone.
I have an appointment with a mechanic tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out. I really don't know how old the shocks are, so maybe that is it.
Hmmmm.
Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: