Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More on the 88 Cherokee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: More on the 88 Cherokee Reply with quote

So, I put the jumper on the diagnostic connector. The engine will start. When I put it in drive or reverse the engine will stop running. I am getting closer. It cant be anything with fuel or spark since the engine will run. Is it possible that the neutral safety is bad?
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it die when you take your foot off the brake or right when you shift?
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: 88 Cherokee Reply with quote

Yes, it dies when I shift into gear. Does anyone know how to get dianostic codes from this Jeep?
935speedxj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is actually pretty easy ... here you go....turn the key to the on position 3 times realitavly fast ... then leave it in the on position the 3rd time..then watch the check engine light it will flash codes like code 12 will be one flash then a slight pause then flash twice an if there is more codes there will be a pause between codes to ....there is a write up on here somewhere...
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: 88 Cherokee Reply with quote

Yes, I have read about this too. There is only one problem.... there is no check engine light on my dash. At least I cannot find one. I have had the dash apart to see if there was a check engine light that was out. Cannot find one. Will replace the Crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor and see what happens then.
I read that if the camshaft sensor fails while the engine is running it will not shut off, however it will not restart after shutoff. So I will look at this possability that the camshaft sensor is bad. Write this as we go.
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: 88 Cherokee Reply with quote

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Sometimes out of know where it will start up but it dies when I put my foot on the brake pedal. Now I am really confused.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in the learning stages of engine tech, but what about vacuum? Check the lines for cracks and such. Putting the transmission in gear might be just enough "flex" to cause one of these cracks to open and for your engine to lose vacuum.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All vacuum hoses are good. The engine will die when I use any other electrical. If the door opens and the dome light comes on, the engine dies. Headlights, wipers, horn, brake lights, turn signals, anything at all. Alternator is good. No continuity between fuseable links and ground. Took the starter relay apart and cleaned it.
Replaced camshaft, crankshaft and throttle positin sensors. Havent found anything yet.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see your previous thread, but on my mom's camery her battery was bad and the car wouldn't stay running. It didn't die with the electrical in use, it just wouldn't stay running unless you had your foot on the gas.

I don't know if this applies, just thought I'd mention it.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is possible. I havent checked the battery. It is only a year old and I assumed it to be good. I was tlking to a dealer service friend of mine and he explained that the ecm must have a signal from the alternator. This signal can be disrupted from a sudden drain on the battery/charging system. I will have it checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: