Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scheduled maintenance for Rear Differential Fluid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwd651

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Scheduled maintenance for Rear Differential Fluid Reply with quote

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee with 30,000. I took it in last week to have front end balanced, and they told me I needed to have my Rear Differential fluid changed for a cost of $300.00 They checked the fluid and said that it was dirty using their "this is your oil--this is how it should look" sample. I have not noticed any leaks and never asked that this be done----is this legitimate or just a case of the dealer trying to make a buck?? thanks for your opinions
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pull the inspection plug and check the condition of your fluid. If it needs to changed you can do it yourself for the cost of the fluid. Depending on what fluid you buy you'll save at least $275.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What interval does your owners manual list? Do you have a warranty that requires certain maint. to keep from voiding it? That doesn't seem like an unreasonable mileage for that service and you're not going to have much luck figuring it out by looking at the oil unless you have metal shavings and/or obvious water contamination. But, I wouldn't pay $300 to have it done. It's a bit messy but not hard. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/diffoil.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: